Bathrooms and Songwriting

oldgitplayer

• Members

A couple of years ago when I had just restrung my Dread, and it was sounding bright and chimey, I took it into the bathroom to enjoy a bit of bright reverb. Two things happened : Because I was facing a hard surface, the direct sound from the soundhole bounced back to my ears (we don't usually hear our guitar this way). New strings + true sound inspired me to start playing and singing.

Now here's the thing: I was standing in front of a 3 ft X 3 ft mirror, and spontaneously started playing and singing an original tune and lyric. I seemed to be seeing someone else in the mirror and found it easy to objectively critique what that fella was doing. The disconnect between the player and the image provided a bridge that isn't normally there that felt like an advantage to the songwriting process.

Anybody else experienced any weird and wonderful processes?

• Members

Great story. I don't think I've ever experienced anything quite like that. I've had a couple of songs just flow out of me, but one was late at night (sleep deprived) and the other was way too early in the morning (also sleep deprived).

Stay up late kids!

• Members

oldgitplayer wrote:

A couple of years ago when I had just restrung my Dread, and it was sounding bright and chimey, I took it into the bathroom to enjoy a bit of bright reverb. Two things happened : Because I was facing a hard surface, the direct sound from the soundhole bounced back to my ears (we don't usually hear our guitar this way). New strings + true sound inspired me to start playing and singing.

Now here's the thing: I was standing in front of a 3 ft X 3 ft mirror, and spontaneously started playing and singing an original tune and lyric. I seemed to be seeing someone else in the mirror and found it easy to objectively critique what that fella was doing. The disconnect between the player and the image provided a bridge that isn't normally there that felt like an advantage to the songwriting process.

Anybody else experienced any weird and wonderful processes?

I've not done this, but I will,  and soon.  I especially like the part about hearing the reflected sound.  I try to get people to play my guitar as often as possible so I can hear what it sounds like,

• Members

saturn1 wrote:

I've not done this, but I will,  and soon.  I especially like the part about hearing the reflected sound.  I try to get people to play my guitar as often as possible so I can hear what it sounds like,

And see if you enter the headspace whereby there's another musician there that you are observing.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

So you can lift yourself up by your own bootstraps after all!smiley-happy

Any trick in the book, I'll try it.

Your story reminds me of the line I've got in one of my own recent songs -

Save me from myself.

I don't have a tenth of the issues with anybody else.

nat whilk ii

• Members
<P>A couple of years ago when I had just restrung my Dread, and it was sounding bright and chimey, I took it into the bathroom to enjoy a bit of bright reverb. Two things happened : Because I was facing a hard surface, the direct sound from the soundhole bounced back to my ears (we don't usually hear our guitar this way). New strings + true sound inspired me to start playing and singing.</P><P>Now here's the thing: I was standing in front of a 3 ft X 3 ft mirror, and spontaneously started playing and singing an original tune and lyric. I seemed to be seeing someone else in the mirror and found it easy to objectively critique what that fella was doing. The disconnect between the player and the image provided a bridge that isn't normally there that felt like an advantage to the songwriting process.</P><P>Anybody else experienced any weird and wonderful processes?</P>
Not really, whenever I play into a mirror I keep getting caught up wondering how that guy can play all those chords backwards.

But back when I was playing a lot, I'd play in front of a mirror to sort of 'check the act.' I do like the sound of a guitar and my voice bouncing back (corners are really good, too).

• Moderators
So you can lift yourself up by your own bootstraps after all!smiley-happy Any trick in the book, I'll try it. Your story reminds me of the line I've got in one of my own recent songs - Save me from myself. I don't have a tenth of the issues with anybody else. nat whilk ii
Nice line!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes. I don't write any of my songs. I have a well-developed musical alter ego who does it all for me. I can tell you all about him. He's everything that I'm not, and he makes songwriting fun. (Now if he'd only make it profitable....)

Archived