kitchens and songwriting

oldgitplayer

• Members

Kitchens seem to be appearing in this forum on a regular basis. Are songwriting and kitchens connected? Osmosis, Symbiosis? In the goodolddays demos were done into a cassette recorder at the kitchen table alongside the teapot and a half-eaten sandwich. Are dirty dishes in the sink the missing ingredient in the modern DAW- driven song? Help me understand..........

Writing songs in my kitchen

Chewin' fat there as well

Far away from your bitchin'

I play the old show and tell

• Members

rhino55 wrote:

I do most of my demos in the kitchen. It is not a new kitchen and I have no desire to make any upgrades.

I love knowing that. There's nothing better than writing a song in the kitchen...

Bob Dylan in the kitche.jpg

bruce-springsteen-kitchen1.jpg

James Talor in the kitchen.jpg

Sam Cooke in the kitchen.jpeg

mick-keith-kitchen.jpg

John\_Lennon\_in\_the\_Kitchen\_Beverly\_Hills\_69.jpg

Tom\_Waits\_1.jpg

Todd+Rundgren+Rundgren+in+the+kitchen+1983.jpg

The Band in the kitchen.jpg

McCartney in the kitchen.jpg

lou reed inakitchen.jpg

Leonard Cohen.jpg

Townes Van Zandt in the kitchen.jpg

Townes wrote a lot of songs in the kitchen of whoever's house he was crashing at...

• Members

I've jammed in a lot of kitchens over the years. The semi-gloss paint often in them makes for a nice, lively sound. Most of the places I've lived had small kitchens; too small for a table in all but two cases or so. But I often have ended up playing and writing at various dining room tables (except one shoe box apartment where there was no room for a table anywhere (maybe a folding table you could open when the hide-a-bed was closed).

One of my 3DW pals taught for a few years in Madagascar. He got to know the local musicians and let them know they could come over to his place and hang out and jam after they got off their hotel gigs. He recorded a lot of the jams on a little DAT recorder he took with him and I heard a fair bit of it -- it was really, really amazing stuff.  (Sadly, someone broke into the little house he then had in Santa Monica and stole the recorder and all the tapes. A huge loss, particularly since if they even figured out how it worked, they probably recorded heavy metal or rap over it.)

• Members

Cohen... lol... box of kitchen matches sitting like a bomb next to the open burner... 

I think the shot of Keith and Mick must have provided some sort of preter-conscious model for a thousand nights when I was young. Change the faces and the bottles and...

Archived