Friday Influences Thread 01-10-14

Lee Knight

• Moderators

There are only 354 days left till that awesome New Years Eve party. Time sure does fly when you're sharing your influences on the FIT. The FIT, that's where you are right now. Friday Influences Thread. Hello? So! Join in cheater and reap the benefits of a year sailing by, racing toward the party of your dreams next year! Go ahead! DO IT!

Noah Gundersen. I really like him, I really don't. I tend to pick people to share that aren't idols of mine or have it all figured out yet. And this 24 year old Seattle singer/songwriter fits that bill. On the one hand, his performance chops are outstanding. He packs a punch with his delivery. And... he gives good idea. The only issue I have with him is that he fails to follow through, to a certain extent, with his lyrics. They're good. Real good. Better than mine for sure but... They're incomplete. The issue is he's too good of a performer. He can get away with that stuff. Anyways and who.... I like him a lot. I hope he continues to get better and better. That would be something.

• Members

James Taylor (1990 on....)

It's been a long time since JT was sent to the Home for Aging Adult Contemporary Has-Beens but I for one have never stopped checking out whatever he releases.  Even if now his fire is somewhat of the electric blanket variety, there's some material worth attention.  And you can always learn from his technique and delivery from any album from any year.

names changed, but this one's about his brother Alex passing in '93

2002 saw his last album of originals - I wonder if he's done songwriting??  He's done enough for any dozen songwriters, but I'm always ready for more.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Friday night?

How's about a little Western Swing tune by Townes Van Zandt, sung by Jerry Jeff Walker & Townes.

Blue Wind Blew

Blue wind's blown my dreams away

My darling's flown and she's gone to stay

All I got now is yesterday

And I don't know what to do

I guess I'll go downtown and see

Just what downtown can do for me

Maybe set my lonesome free

Or maybe let me go

I loved her true and I told her so

I ask her too and she told me no

She said, she had somewhere to go

And then she said good-bye

I wonder how long it can go on

How long I'll sing this same old song

I wonder which one done us wrong

Which one forgot to try

I loved her true and I told her so

I ask her too and she told me no

She said, she had somewhere to go

And then she said good-bye

• Members

nat whilk II wrote:

2002 saw his last album of originals - I wonder if he's done songwriting??  He's done enough for any dozen songwriters, but I'm always ready for more.

The guitar work on this song reminds me of one of JT's primary influences, the Presbyterian hymnal. He says that's how he learned to play guitar and write songs, by learning the hymns.

Which reminds me of this John Hartford tune from his seminal "New Grass" LP, Aereo Plain.

Another tune from Aereo Plain, "Back in the Goodle Days."

Personnel

• Members

Thanks for the intro to Noah Gunderson, Lee.  He is, indeed, a good performer and an excellent singer.

Nat's James Taylor offerings reminded me of an interview I was listening to the other night.  The interviewer was Michel Martin on the NPR show 'Tell Me More'.  She referred to an interview she did with Ben Taylor, JT and Carly Simon's son.  She said that Ben related a conversation he had with his father when he told him that he wanted to pursue the musician career.  His father said, "You know, it is really a blue collar life.  You have to work really hard for probably not a lot of reward."  He also said, "You've got a pretty nice, comfortable life now, you're going to have to convince me you're ready to do the work that's necessary."

I thought it was a pretty insightful comment. (Edit) Kind of like the Townes Van Zandt quote in LCK's sig.

With that, here's another example of what might be found swimming in the gene pool.

Archived