Where we write/record

• Members

Possibly slightly off topic again (sorry blue i promise it isnt becoming a habit!!) but people often ask each other after a recording has been made, what equipment do you have ect.... im sure some people expect big set-ups but i doubt in most peoples cases on here it is

In my case - its in the spare room

Here are some pics of where i like to spend my time - feel free to post yours (assuming blue allows it?)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edmoc99/sets/72157627052118127/

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Great idea... there has to be some loophole in the rules as we have a community here. ;) Posting this sort of stuff in another forum would be futile.

I write anywhere... and record in my basement, but I don't really have a studio. Just an 'area'. I don't think it's really pic worthy.

• Members

Mine's somewhat similar - though nowhere near as tidy as yours stick. Did you do a spring clean or does it always look as neat as that.

I won't take a pic of mine right now - not until I've tidied up the jumble of leads, FX boxes and miscellaneous audio accessories on the floor and work surfaces :lol:

• Members

Mine's somewhat similar - though nowhere near as tidy as yours stick. Did you do a spring clean or does it always look as neat as that.

I won't take a pic of mine right now - not until I've tidied up the jumble of leads, FX boxes and miscellaneous audio accessories on the floor and work surfaces
:lol:

Believe it or not this is fairly messy - for some reason i run a tight ship and keep it very tidy - pack everything away after recording - dunno why - i just like to feel...right im gonna record now lets make some mess

• Members

That's a beautiful space. Mine's a disgusting room in the basement--cat puke every now and then, instruments piled everywhere, etc. At the moment, my recording computer is out for cleaning, and I've been gigging a bit, which means I just dump everything in there at 3am after a show, and it's starting to get a bit deep.

• Members

I'm really looking forward to a tidy space (I'm pretty tidy myself) that is "recording ready"... meaning I want to be able to go down to the basement, turn on the computer, get some sounds and go. This is my biggest obstacle right now... usually, by the time I'm done working for the day (have a stressful job), get the three kids (aged 1, 3, and 5) to bed, I'm pretty drained. So by the time 9pm rolls around, the thought of going downstairs, setting up the computer, the mic, the headphones, the cable, etc... I usually choose to just sit on the couch and write rather than record. And this is all contingent on whether or not my wife is done with the laptop for the evening.

If I had a dedicated and permanent set-up, I think I'd get a lot more accomplished.

• Members

And this is all contingent on whether or not my wife is done with the laptop for the evening.

FWIW, at one point I had my room almost permanent, save for the lap-top. To record, I'd just have to bring the lap-top down and plug everything into it. Not a huge obstacle to recording.

I've since had to cannibalize that arrangement to put together a PA, but it was convenient, even without a dedicated laptop.

• Members

Is there a danger to leaving everything set-up, including mics? Other than the obvious (like careless children). I'm talking about dust, humidity, etc...

I put a bag over my diaphragm mic (crown royal type thing). Condenser mics would probably benefit from care, but they're pretty indestructible. I'd throw a sheet over my keyboard, too.

• Members

Stick, what is that little Martin acoustic you have?

That would be this little fella http://www.reddogmusic.co.uk/Guitars-Amps-and-Effects/Electro-Acoustic-Guitars/6-String-Electro-Acoustic/Martin-LX1E.html?origin=googlebase such a different sound to my other acoustics and actually pretty loud..... its my "go away for the weekend" guitar...comes in a nice padded bag too!

• Moderators

I've got one of those little Martins. Mine's black which is rad. They sound great with older strings. Sort of like Dylan's early records.

I need to take some proper photos. Here's mine, looking out from the desk via the iMac cam. I built this room in my garage. Room within a room. Makes noise while family and neighbors sleep.

[video=youtube;N9vCgFqCFnM]

I don't have a picture from the other angle. iMac, a PC workstation, a rack of old Urie pres, FMR, API. Event 20/20 monitors (hate them). A simple M Audio midi key controller. Lots of fun noise makers like multiple tamborines, shakers, 6 string banjo, Nashville strung guitar, lapsteel... and the piano in the front room. I run a snake and mikes out there when tracking piano or drums or guest guitarists etc.

[video=youtube;WACDx2LH-Nw]

• Members

I'm switching apartments in three weeks so I don't bother cleaning anymore.

My black hole:

blackholeu.jpg

I'm going to set these speakers up properly in my next space. The only thing that's bad about 8" monitors is it makes my 27" screen look small (or the other way around, I can't decide which).

And here are my tools of the trade:

268594_955995804581_16667_42126865_58509

264377_956000939291_16667_42126894_15760

And my living room looks like this:

5930605126_8cd530641b_b.jpg

There's more in there, like drums, PA, etc., but really, I don't record or write there. I do it all in my bedroom.

• Members

I'm switching apartments in three weeks so I don't bother cleaning anymore.

My black hole:

blackholeu.jpg

I'm going to set these speakers up properly in my next space. The only thing that's bad about 8" monitors is it makes my 27" screen look small (or the other way around, I can't decide which).

And here are my tools of the trade:

268594_955995804581_16667_42126865_58509
264377_956000939291_16667_42126894_15760

And my living room looks like this:

5930605126_8cd530641b_b.jpg

There's more in there, like drums, PA, etc., but really, I don't record or write there. I do it all in my bedroom.

this is mainly due to your amp collection - WOW JUST WOW!!!!!

• Members

I don't actually use any of the amps anymore (except the cute little Ampeg bass stack). One of the other walls has a pair of QSC K10 speakers, a Soundcraft EFX8, and a tiny pedalboard with a tuner, a boost pedal and a Tech 21 Oxford, and that's all I need nowadays.

• Members

well luckily i dont live in a cave
;)

i suppose its not ideal BUT ive always been a fan of
singing fairly close mic
so it doesnt make much difference

I think this really comes through in your sound... I wasn't sure if it was the mic or equipment you use, or mic placement. Very intimate.

• Moderators

I think this really comes through in your sound... I wasn't sure if it was the mic or equipment you use, or mic placement. Very intimate.

Yeah very true. Close-mic placement WILL give you that intimate sound and will negate a lot of the room sound as well. Just make sure you don't sing too loud or its gonna distort!

Archived