RIP - PETE SEEGER

oldgitplayer

• Members

As old as I am... this guy was always there... already an institution. He was one of the first genuine folkies I came across in the culture, even before I started listening to folk music when I was 12 or so. He was already there... from the way people talked, he'd been there forever. He seemed ancient to me then, but, oddly over 50 years of paying attention to him, he never really seemed to get any older. I realized he'd actually been a relatively young man (as I count these things now) when I got to know him better at the start of the 60s.

For me, he'll always be the grand old man of folk. The sadly silent Woody Guthrie, incapacitated by Huntington's Disease found a voice through him, as did the nameless millions whose stories Guthrie tried to tell with his dustbowl songs, as Seeger carried on the legacy.

I learned about folk music from Pete Seeger. 

But more importantly, I learned about life.

• Members

blue2blue wrote:

As old as I am... this guy was always there... already an institution. He was one of the first genuine folkies I came across in the culture, even before I started listening to folk music when I was 12 or so. He was already there... from the way people talked, he'd been there forever. He seemed ancient to me then, but, oddly over 50 years of paying attention to him, he never really seemed to get any older. I realized he'd actually been a relatively young man (as I count these things now) when I got to know him better at the start of the 60s.

For me, he'll always be the grand old man of folk. The sadly silent Woody Guthrie, incapacitated by Huntington's Disease found a voice through him, as did the nameless millions whose stories Guthrie tried to tell with his dustbowl songs, as Seeger carried on the legacy.

I learned about folk music from Pete Seeger. 

But more importantly, I learned about life.

I'm with you all the way on this blue. Most of my influences were of a similar age to me - maybe up to 3 or 4 years older. But Pete Seeger was my father's generation! I remember being amazed at who he was, how he thought and what he did - and he was an old guy like my Dad!.....:smileyhappy:

Archived