what is your favorite scale ?

mbengs1

• Members

Right now, diminished, whole tone, and pentatonic scales although these are played as fragments and mixed liberally with all the other modal tetrachords. Depends of course on the changes and frequency of changes where the melodic fit is everything.

like this except a couple magnitudes lower.

[video=youtube;NC8E9HIDeck]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My teacher is a jazzer I've never met in person but he is changing my playing at nearly a weekly basis depending on how much I practice each day. I got his permission to upload a pdf on the harmonic minor which helped me realize how useful this on is over many types of chords when you begin on a chord tone other than the root.

I came across http://99centguitarlessons.com by accident and clicked it to see how much BS I could find there. In stead I found great classes mostly for 3.99 to 4.99. Most classes are a song you are going to learn. Or about concepts in your genre. These are very importants. Concepts give the tool to move on. This is very good way to learn how scales can work for your benefit.

If jazz is not your thing there are blues class same cheap prices and even in the blues stuff there can be bebop lines to spick up all the whole and half step bends. In a very painless way, I'm learning songs I can use to earn money. The theory is presented in the `why this note will work here' during the class. This part gets over looked while you are learning to play the tune. It's important once you can play it to go back and make sure you understand the why of it.f One thing often missing in learning tunes in a genre is the FEEL and subtleties of phrasing. Every four or eight bars you play along with Rich to a metromome. You don't have it till you can do that part w/him. This part alone is priceless

Each comes to your desktop with twenty to 40 minutes of video, longer vids cost more than shorter vids. It lives in you computer for when ever you want it. There is printed material with notation and tab under the staff, often there are practice tracks some at increasing speeds. The material is covered slowly two bars at a time while explaining why some of these notes are in this unusual place. That is where things start to open up if you are a fellow inmate in scale jail as I like to call it. I don't see a way to upload the .pdf file. If there is a way let know please. If there is private messaging here get hold of me and I'll get it to you....

Rich would be the first to agree if you can find a good teacher that's the best path to....... more. I'm in the boonies so for me Rich is the only I could ever dream of learning about jazz. I'm 70 and have played since high school but never studied. Got lots to do so see ya.

Ron

• Members

I play only dorian mode...i play it over my classic rock songs....i play it in the main key over the whole song....if there is a chord change in the song....like in down payment blues...then ill play the dorian over whatever key it switches to....i learned minor pentatonic first...then started playing aeolian mode...now dorian ....aeolian and dorian are super easy to learn after you master the minor pentatonic...cuz they both use the same 5 notes of the minor pentatonic plus 2 more notes.......aeolian and dorian are exact notes except for 1 different one.....i learned all 5 positions of dorian and i play it vertically all over the neck.....i jam to,the same songs over and over...try to get the rhythm parts to,sound real close but when lead time comes then i always improvise them ....

..but i do try to hit some of the same lead notes in the song...so i cud play in the style of the lead player......but i never try to play the whole lead line exact cuz i dont kno what scale ....if any. ....the player is using.....so i dont waste my time trying....

.....playing only the dorian leads usually fit in good over basic classic rock songs....but prolly would not work for other styles of music.....but it works for the kind of music i like to play.

• Members

For my money, the main scale you see used on guitar all the time is Dorian plus the "blue note" (b5) - this is basically

0 2 3

0 2 3

0 2 3

0 2

0 1 2

0 2 3

sometimes I stick to the major pent, or mixolydian, if the song has a major 3rd sound. Mostly I look for opportunities to change scales within a song and play chord tones as the come along (if they are outdie of the scale I am using) - or within a given scale I look for common tones within chord changes.

• Members
Chromatic.

But mostly I like using a few to improvise. Though I usually don't think of it in those terms, and more playing to the chord, or upcoming chord.

how do you solo chromatic like in jazz. do you use shapes and patterns too? since u use all 12 notes how do you know where youre going, all notes are correct and no wrong notes.

• Members

how do you solo chromatic like in jazz. do you use shapes and patterns too? since u use all 12 notes how do you know where youre going, all notes are correct and no wrong notes.

I was half joking, but do end up sometimes using all 12.

But not all at once.

Even a simple 1,4,5 blues can get close. With combining major minor pents and chord and passing tones.

• Members

Back in the 1980's , I was all caught up into the 80's Shred movement. I listened to anyone or any thing musical to inspire me. I started listening to Violin, Saxophone, Keyboard players more often , due to Alan Holdsworth / U.K. , John Scofield, Grover Washington, Herbie Hancock, Frank Zappa, Keith Emerson and ( don't laugh) Kenny G.

During my solo spot, I started adding those elements along side 8 fingered tapping, speed picking, tremolo bar tricks and other flash / trash.

I used to play by the seat of my pants ..... nothing like it in the whole wide World !!!!

• Members
I really do like the Gypsy scale - 1' date=' b2, 3, 4, 5, b6, and 7. It is very difficult to say outright if it is my favourite as I adore many different scales... but It is definitely in my top 5 list![/quote']

I come across this in my playing but more as a modified harmonic minor or diminished scale. Of course the Hungarian quality is obscured by the jazz fit.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived