Little Feat's "Fat Man In The Bathtub" intro percussion...

• Members

Interesting - nice to get a percussion question in place of the usual guitar chords/tab questions!

It's certainly difficut to be sure what he's playing, so I checked out the studio version - which is different. That has cowbell playing a standard 3-2 clave, with just an extra hit on the repeat:

|1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .|1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .|1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .|1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .|
|x   x   x x   x|  x     x      |x     x        |    x     x    |

That repeats before the bass and guitars band come in (ie, 8 bars intro in all)

Against that, the drums are playing what seems to be a random pattern in 8ths (different accents in every bar), while the woodblock (less distinct) seems to be playing this 4-bar pattern:

|x   x   x x   x|  x x          |x     x     x  |               |

In the live version - which is slower, btw - the snare pattern is missing, and LG's cowbell seems to have taken that over: playing constant 8ths, but with varying accents - and sometimes on the rim of the bell to vary the tone.

Meanwhile the woodblock is playing something closer to the studio version:

|x   x   x x   x|  x x          |x     x     x  |               |

Conclusion: take your pick! Or make your own variation. What I might do is combine a standard 3-2 clave (on the woodblock) with a cascara pattern on the cowbell:

|1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .|1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .|
woodblock 3-2 clave:|x     x     x  |    x   x      |
   cowbell cascara:|x   x x   x   x|x   x   x x   x|

Notice how neatly they interlock. You'd sound more authentically Latin if you did this (it's a standard mambo pattern). OTOH, you'd sound less cool-loose-funky-who-gives-a-**** Little Feat. :)

• Members

Sorry I've just realised: in my re-editing of my first post I got the patterns mixed up, so some of the text makes no sense.

Firstly, you'll notice that patterns #2 and #3 are identical (duh!)

These show the woodblock pattern in the live version.

Pattern #1 is NOT the studio cowbell pattern, but the studio woodblock pattern (as far as I can tell). So it should be where pattern #2 is.

The studio cowbell pattern (the simple 3-2 clave with one extra hit on the repeat) is what's missing, and is this:

|1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .|1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .|1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .|1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .||x     x     x  |    x   x      |x     x     x  |    x   x x    |  

That should be where pattern #1 is.

Hope that clarifies the issue. (I daren't try and edit my original post, I'll probably just screw it up again...)

• Members

As extra clarification, here's what I think is happening in the studio version:

|1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .|1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .|1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .|1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .| COWBELL:|x     x     x  |    x   x      |x     x     x  |    x   x x    |    WOODBLOCK:|x   x   x x   x|  x     x      |x     x        |    x     x    |

I'm pretty sure about the cowbell, less sure about the woodblock.

Archived