FS/FT: Extremely quiet ATX PSU 500W

• Members

No longer for sale, re-utilized it and couldn't be happier. :thu: If you see one of these I can't recommend them highly enough.

I've got an Elan Vital Greenerger SSM 500W that I had in my recording computer for a few years. If you haven't heard of it I am not surprised because they were mostly a European thing and very hard to get in the US.

greenerger_psu.jpg

You can read up on them here and here.

What makes these so great was that they were designed to be extremely efficient...high efficiency means less power is lost to heat which means it runs cooler, cooler means it can use a low pressure, high volume fan and it barely kicks on most of the time. It also keeps the rest of your case nice and quiet as well.

It will work with both 20 and 24 pin motherboards (inline adapter harness included), has one ATX12V, 2 SATA, 6 molex, 1 floppy, and one PCie connectors on it. It also has that one funky AUX connector that I've never seen used on anything. It also has EPV12V (8 pin) support (with another adapter harness).

I never thought I'd be selling it, but I recently upgraded to an HP dual Xeon quadcore workstation and it uses a proprietary sized PSU so this is just sitting. It's in immaculate condition, looks new and has never given me a seconds worth of problems. It's rated at 500W and while there are PSU's out there that are rated higher most of them are rated for peak performance, not continuous loads. Once they start getting pushed to their limits the power gets noisey which leads to dirty clock pulses which cause lockups, crashes and all kinds of nastiness. This PSU was one of a small handful that ran at the rated specs without failing.

A couple other neat things going on with this PSU. It's got whats called SSM (Super Silent Mode) which is basically a control to set the threshold at which the fan kicks on. I kept it set at about 1/3 if memory serves correctly which meant the fan only kicked on for a few seconds at a time under the heaviest loads. I'm talking about re-encoding a movie or something where the CPU was maxed for an hour or more. And the other cool thing is that I'm kind of anal about my stuff being clean so I use a compressor about once a month to blow out my systems to keep dust out of them. My other PC was like a dust storm, but because of the low amount of air needed to run cool this thing was never dirty. It's just something I never though about, but by being cool it actually helps to keep cool by not collecting dust.

It's also auto sensing so it will automatically adjust for anything from 90VAC to 246VAC and 47-63Hz. If you've got flakey power in your house this will handle it.

If this was any other PSU I'd probably just toss it out, but this thing really is nice and I know that someone out there needs a nice quiet PSU to record with. I paid about $140 for it new several years ago (it went for over $200 everywhere else) and I got my money's worth out of it and then some. I'm not looking to break the bank here or get my money back, I'm looking to pass on something that gets overlooked way too much and can help someone else out.

As for trades, I really don't know, I'm open, just make me an offer via PM and I'll let you know.

Yes I really do love this power supply which probably seems weird to most of you. I spent months researching this and went through about 6 other 'siltent' PSU's before actually finding one that was legitimate.

Archived