FS: Fender Sub-Sonic Baritone HSS Strat

Argali

• Members

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290509086061

img1786.jpg

This auction has less than an hour to go, no reserve.

To satisfy the soul-crushing vampire that is the IRS, I'm forced to part with one of the more prized members of my stable. This is a MIA (Made In America) 2000 Black Fender Sub-Sonic Baritone Stratocaster with the original G&G Fender case. This guitar looks and plays like a Strat but has a longer scale - 27" - and is designed to be tuned to B baritone tuning, B-E-A-D-F#-B. I have always strung this guitar with D'Addario 14-gauge baritone strings, and it is tuned in baritone A-A tuning.

These were originally Fender Custom Shop Guitars, and they added a production model for a limited time for it fizzled due to a lack of general public interest. These days only the Fender Sub-Sonic Telecaster lives on, it its very expensive Custom Shop Form. Since they weren't on the market long, the HSS model Sob-Sonic Strat in particular is very hard to find. I hunted for this for about two years before finding it. Again, **** the IRS as hard as possible. Anyway I've read that Pete Loeffler of Chevelle collects these to record with, which makes sense because he plays live with a custom-made baritone PRS tuned A-A.

I think the real beauty of the Sub-Sonic is that you don't have to tune it like a baritone. Because of its scale length, it's the perfect guitar to use if you're going for low tunings, like drop-C or lower. This is the kind of axe that handles 13-gauge strings with no problem.

Here are the specs:

Body: Alder Neck:

One-piece maple Fingerboard: Maple (9.5" radius/241mm)

Scale Length: 27" (686mm)

No. of Frets: 22 medium-jumbo

Width @ Nut: 1.6875" (43mm)

Machine Heads: Deluxe cast/sealed

Pickups: 2 American Strat

Archived