Looking For Part For Floyd Rose

adamsa

• Members

Hi all,

Part of my Floyd Rose broke on my tremelo system on my Charvel. Broken part is pictured. It's made out of cast material of some kind. Was hoping that someone just had some parts laying around and I could just get this part. If you have one, please PM me. I'd appreciate it.

Andy

FloydRose032.jpg

FloydRose033.jpg

• Members

I am working out a deal with him. An ofr block will not fit. That trem is very specific, licensed jinah block, single locking trem like you would see on a charvette or an older bc rich etc, the parts are proprietary and I believe the spacing as well. fretsonthenet and stewmac would be great if it were an ofr, scahller, kahler etc.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

Hi guys,

I owe one (Ovation Celebrity) myself.

A friend of mine handcrafted a new sustainblock out of brass. Works great. Lot of work ... time.

But EACH of those Jinah sustainblocks are crap. They brake under pressure - promised.

Try to bend the whammybar up or down a few times and *clonnng!!*.

The great the guitar is, the unusable she is because of scriciolaring block.

Edited by Mikkelle

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Members

I have a solution but it's not a one to one replacement. I was looking at Musiclily's block for Mexican Stratocasters and it looked like it would fit. The spacing for the screws to attach the trem block to the plate and the holes that the strings and bar go into are so large in the plate that it would work. I would imagine that any block for Mexican stratocasters would work but the Musiclily block comes with a diagram of its dimensions. Note that the Musiclily block is 42mm tall where the Jinah block is 40mm tall.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The disadvantages of this block is that you will not have fine tuners and you won't have a pop in bar anymore. There are many advantages to this block though. This won't snap for starters. You also get the typical advantages of having a brass block like more sustain and better tone. There are a few advantages you may not think of at first too. The holes that the springs go into so you can use noiseless springs and since this block is 13mm thick you can use a tremelno. The Jinah block is only 6.5mm thick where the springs go into.

All you have to do is drill the base plate to have a 5/32" (4mm) hole where the block attaches and it should screw right in. The only thing I'm worried about is there isn't a lot of metal around where the block screws into isn't a lot to begin with so after you drill it there's even less there. Hopefully that doesn't become the new week point. There is also a gap between the bottom of the plate and the top of the block but I'm not too worried about that.

Some tips I can give are use good drill bits. I tried to do this with Ryobi bits and they snapped on me. Don't just try to drill a 5/32" (4mm) hole. The original hole is about 1/8" (3.175mm) so start there and work your way up. There's also screws that hold the saddles to the plate so you won't have to redo your intonation when you do this.

I didn't have to do any routing for this block to fit in my guitar. The Jinah block is actually bigger where it attaches to the block. The Jinah block is 2.98" (75.65mm) wide and 0.56" (14.2mm) thick. Also if you were wondering the Musiclily block is 321 grams including mounting screws and the Jinah block with fine tuning parts is 177 grams.

Here are some pictures of it installed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Pictures of it in my Ovation Celbrity

spacer.png

Picture to show you can put a bar on this.

spacer.png

spacer.png

TLDR: If you're okay with not having fine tuners and a pop in bar get a Mexican Stratocaster block from Musiclily, drill the plate out to 5/32" (4mm) and it should work. Just make sure the you can fit the extra height of this block in your guitar.