FS: Vintage Fender Bassman 20 combo amp

harmonyjeak

• Members

$595 + shipping (based on location in CONUS)

Fewer than 500 of these were ever made. It's from the Rivera era, made in 1982-83. Puts out 18 watts with two 6V6s and an 8-ohm 15. PM me for more photos. If you provide your ZIP code, I'll calculate the shipping.

This one has been thoroughly overhauled and upgraded by Fargen Hot Mods, a boutique builder and tech in California. I spent more than $300 on the upgrades alone, plus $500 for the amp. The old caps were changed out, new tubes, new grille, bias checked, etc. The voicing was vastly improved for a more open, less nasally sound, making it particularly good for guitar. There is also an added bias trim pot inside, so you won't have to take it to a tech for biasing.

Works great as a low-volume bass amp for practice or recording (there's a line out in back). As a guitar amp, it is punchy, and the 15 fattens up the tone. It's basically the same circuit as the Champ II of the same era. Here are the specs.

Comes with a vinyl cover, and I'll also throw in a new set of matched JJ 6V6 tubes. The amp is packed for shipment (double boxed, padded, tubes removed) via UPS Ground to anywhere in the Lower 48 United States.

amp1.jpg

amp5.jpg

• Members

Darn, I wish I had thought to photograph the back of the speaker before boxing up the amp. Yes, the amp has a closed back. I did remove the speaker once, though, just to look at it, and as I recall it looked sort of like this:

546130jpg.jpg

This is a stock photo of a new-production Fender replacement. Looks like an Eminence to me. In fact, I thought my old one was an Emi until I read that it was made by Fane.

This morning I called Fender to ask about it. Unfortunately there is no record of which company made the original speaker. The person I spoke with said it was "probably made by Eminence" but said it also could have been Fane.

Sorry, I wish I had more info. The current speaker sounds great with guitar but can get a bit flabby with bass at higher volumes. If I were planning to keep the amp and use it for bass, I might consider a speaker swap for louder playing.

Archived