FS/FT: 1967 Fender Vibrolux Reverb

slashdot

• Members

Hello,

I have a very nice 1967 Fender Vibrolux Reverb for sale. This is the last year Fender manufacturerd the amp utilizing the "Blackface" cosmetics. If you know anything about this amp you know it is extremely versatile for blues, jazz, country, whatever. It all depends on how you voice it, bias it, tube it and play it. I have it set up with a mis-matched set up Tube Amp Doctor 6L6WGT's and a boat load of NOS 12AX/AT7 tubes. The amp sings.

If you want, I can throw in an NOS pair of JAN-Phillips 6L6-WGB and NOS GZ34 and rebias the amp for you (extra $40). Talk about Freddie King tone ... raw and straight to the Moon blues. I will also throw in a spare set of 6L6tubes and some preamp tubes and some other supplies I got from my last overhaul of the amp.

The amp is all original except the cabinet (Mojo repro), power transformer (Mojo repro) and obviously the filter caps. I have also taken the liberty of replacing a number of the widly drifted out of spec resistors on the board, noteably grid resistors on the power tubes (fail safes) and some plate and input resistors. A couple of the nasty Dubliner-D caps which are known to be crap have been replaced as well with high quality Xicon browns. For the resistors I stuck with NOS carbon comps or carbon film/metal film where it was appropriate for temperature and "amp quietness". Additionally, as this amp was originally in a head unit configuration, the original speakers are long since gone (those old Jensen's sucked anyway) and I have replaced them with two 10" Eminence Legend. These are a much better modern equivalent.

So a couple of caveats to get out of the way before we proceed; if you want to complain about the price, or the fact that not all of the amp is original (cab, power trans, caps/resistors) or you just want to throw your useless vintage Fender knowledge at me you should probably not waste your time. If you're laboring under the delusion that something is wrong with an amp that has had replacement parts on it then you clearly are not a real player of amps and have no idea what you're talking about, thus wasting mine and your own time by posting/emailing. Let me save us both the trouble now. Vintage amps have to have components replaced. Period. It happens. I only use the highest quality replacements in the amps I own and build.

Having said that...if you're interested in figuring out a cash deal or want more pictures or want to come play the amp (with the intent to purchase) then you should contact me.

If you are local to the San Francisco Bay Area then come on over to check it out. I would prefer a local cash sale or trade (Gibson or Martin acoustic(s)).

Cash price is $1,600

Peace

Archived