Ampeg J-20, Epi Valve Jr, 8-hm C-Rex--NY

Magpel

• Members

Will ship!

1. Ampeg J20, Jet reissue, in excellent cosmetic and working condition, w/ Trem footswitch. Speaker is Jensen MOD but amp also comes with stock Alnico if you want. $450 -- Sale pending

This amp was recently serviced by our region's premiere amp tech, Chris Davis. I wanted more clean headroom out of it. Here's what he did:

--Installed bias adjust pot and new Ruby power tubes

--Replaced output drive tube with Ruby 12AT7

--Replaced cheap plastic speaker cable plugs

--Placed weatherstripping gasket speaker hole in baffle under grill to stop grill slap

--Replaced stock AlNico speaker with Jensen MOD

2. Epiphone Valve Jr. Head, version with 4-, 8- and 16-ohm speaker outs, $70 shipped

As-new condition, except for missing one cosmetic screw cover on top. Bought from MF. Virtually unused.

3. Eminence Cannabis Rex, 12", 8-ohm. Perfect condition, $75 shipped

This popular speaker is very interesting but not exactly my cup of tea. Very light use (I'd say not quite even fully broken in yet, though it has 30 hours of play time, or so.)

Sorry I have no Pics of the C-Rex because my camera just broke. Amp pics are older.

Trades: would trade any/all of above toward low-wattage boutique or BF/SF amp--Carr, Headstrong, Swart, Allen, etc. Not interested in any other trades at this time.

Local exchange greatly preferred. Will travel within reason.

l_ec4ed0e6fe9d479d98045bf3d194c1e7.jpg

l_eabf2cf1477048f49253062dec6029bd.jpg

l_6d2958b8279f45379d910af44ff75d59.jpg

• Members

when you said the Rex was not your cup o tea what did you mean? is a darker sound? mushy top end? I was considering one for a 100/60 watt combo I have but do not know anyone who has used them. Thanks, Rory C

Hey Rory, we can take this over to thew amp forum if you like, or PM me if you want more of my impressions of the C-Rex. It is a very, very talked-about speaker. You will find tons of opinions.

I actually do like the C-Rex-- i just don't think I can use it as a go-to gig speaker. It has a very smooth, rich sound definitely with a touch of high-end rolloff. I wouldn't call it mushy, but maybe a touch lacking--for my purposes--in articulation.

I have to say, though, that for the longest time what I thought was the character of this speaker may have had much more to do with the cabinet I had it in, a Mesa/Boogie 1x12 extension cab. I learned this when I put a Weber 12F150--a speaker that is perfdect for what I do--in the same cabinet, and it sounded more like the C-Rex than it di like the other Weber 12f150 I have in my combo amp. I would like to try the C-Rex in a different cab, but I don't have one at present.

Archived