FA: Laney Supergroup Plexi type 2x12 combo amp with vintage Greenbacks,Brimar tubes

q6r821

• Members

Up for auction here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320243045305&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=011

ebay349.jpg

ebay340.jpg

ebay341.jpg

ebay350.jpg

ebay357.jpg

ebay363.jpg

Vintage 60's Laney LC-50 plexi style all tube amp in excellent, almost museum quality condition. Amazing condition for an amp this old and obscure. This is a 50 watt, closed back 2x12 combo. This amp is from when Laney was calling their amp range LBO (lead, bass, organ) and later they changed the name to the 'Supergroup Series'. Yes, this is the same kind of amps Black Sabbath were using but in head/4x12 form. This amp comes loaded with vintage original Celestion Greenback speakers and Brimar tubes. It has all original Partridge brand transformers. The transformers and chassis are completely free of any rust or corrosion! The grill cloth is tight and free of holes or tears. The tolex covering is in excellent condition for it age, it has a few nicks in it on the back and sides, nothing major. It has been kept in a closet, protected from dust and moisture with it's factory original dustcover (which is also included) for years. I just tested it and it's working fine and is as loud, powerful, full of great tone and touch sensitivity as ever. It is set to run on UK voltage 250v and I plug it into a step-up voltage converter to play it. The step-up voltage converter is included in the auction as well. It can be set to run at 110, 210, 230, 250 volt settings. It uses two EL-34's and three 12AX7's. This amp takes pedals well. When I was just testing it, I plugged into an EQ pedal and set the output level to the max and was getting a nice crunchy distortion with the amps gain knob set at zero. This was at a speaking level volume, very quiet. It only gets more crazy and crunchy from there. This amp is in all original condition, original tolex, knobs, transformers. There are no mods. The speakers were hardwired to the amp internally. The only change I made to the amp was to add a section of speaker wire with a 1/4" jack and 1/4" plug in between the speakers and the amp inside so that I could plug it into a THD Hot Plate attenuator. This is easily removable in 5 minutes or so if you wanted to return it to the original hardwired way. This amp measures 21" wide X 31 inches high X 10 inches deep.

Please consider this amps rarity and collectibility and what's included when bidding. I've been actively buying and selling on ebay for over 10 years now. In 10 years of searching out vintage Laney amps, I've only seen another amp like mine for sale ONCE. That was years ago, it was thrashed and abused and in non-working condition and located somewhere in England. The odds of another Laney Supergroup type combo, in any condition, appearing on US Ebay again are extremely slim. The Celestion greenback speakers and the Brimar tubes are worth a lot just by themselves. I'm also including an original amp dustcover and a step-up voltage converter.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

hi there. i have this amp but it dont turn on :| its missing a power tube and the blue tube like you have on the picture. i dont know if ots suposed to turn on without this tubes. can anyone guide me? i want to play throught this amp again. is there any way to rebuild the speakers? because the tissue is gone, mouses destroyed it, and the previous user put some card instead os speaker tissue. Need help :p thank you

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Hi I have the same amp as this am thinking of setting up a similar mod in order to use an attenuator. could you tell me what ohm setting is used from the amp to the speakers. sorry if this is a stupid question 

cheers jake

Archived