building a kit piece by piece

pogo97

• Members

I'm not a drummer, I play piano and guitar. Sometimes, though, I'm jamming with multiple guitar or (yikes!) piano players and feel the need to remove myself from that racket and nail down the beat instead. I bought a nice Pearl Session Custom snare about eight years ago, set it up for brushes -- fibreskin top and Pearl Ultra-Sound "D" strainer -- and have used that with excellent results. I added a vintage UFIP hi hat a couple of years ago and am just beginning to play the two together -- still need lots of practice on the hats. I like the idea of learning one item of the kit at a time rather than filling my front room with stuff that I don't really know how to play individually.

One of these days, I'll see another piece of kit on kijiji and maybe add it to the mix. If you had a snare and hats, what would be the next item you'd add?

• Members

ive considered building a suitcase kit where the suitcase is the kick... your options are as limitless as your imagination... a jazz cocktail kit is a nice, space efficient kit... once talked a bluegrass band into letting me jam with them... hi hat, snare and bass... i ended up playing with them, off and on for several years... loads of fun and a great learning experience for all involved, especially me!

• Members
ive considered building a suitcase kit where the suitcase is the kick... your options are as limitless as your imagination... a jazz cocktail kit is a nice' date=' space efficient kit... once talked a bluegrass band into letting me jam with them... hi hat, snare and bass... i ended up playing with them, off and on for several years... loads of fun and a great learning experience for all involved, especially me! [/quote']

Here's mine:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tSuitcase-FR.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t68.8 KB ID:\t32162639","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32162639","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

bracket to hold the tamb and cowbell is attached to the snare. It's an old 1960s Japanese "Apollo" snare.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tSuitcase-BV.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t74.6 KB ID:\t32162638","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32162638","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tSuitcase-OH.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t70.5 KB ID:\t32162640","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32162640","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

Everything fits inside the suitcase for travel.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tSuitcase-PK.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t73.2 KB ID:\t32162641","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32162641","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

So you have a hi hat stand for your hi-hats??? If you have a hi-hat stand with hi-hat cymbals on it AND a snare set for brushes with good results, I would next get a good used kick or bass with a decent bass pedal. Learning one thing at a time is fine, BUT to get any better, you need to throw caution to the wind and start practicing Bass,Snare and Hats together and let yourself make mistakes and just "Follow the beat" until it feels natural or better! The one thing at a time is nice, but to really get better, I feel getting used to playing all the different aspects will help most overall. Here is what you can do with just snare, bass, hats!! and two arms and hands!

• Members
teach the kids!!! dont wait!!

And my mother-in-law? Don't think that's a go! My daughter would rather play saxophone or ukulele. And my wife would rather play the Pentatonix.

Some folks would just sit down and start banging regardless of who's around. Sadly, I'm not one of those and that's not about to change in my parallel reality.

• Members

at my house, i have plenty of opportunities to annoy only the neighbors... so thats not an issue here, and most likely wouldnt be an issue at my house either way... but reflecting upon your query, i would advise that a near future investment in a hydraulic dampened throne such as the roadster by pearl, would be an elemental part of your kit. a comfortable, adjustable throne is very important. you will thank me after a long practice session...

• Members

pogo? teach the children... who cares what the mother in law thinks? music is one of the most important gifts you can give to anyone... dont let small minds kill the lifetimes of joy that are possible for a few afternoons spent teaching the kids who YOU are... the time spent with my grandfather... him teaching me lap steel guitar, band stories from the alcohol prohibition days... against the wishes of grandma, dad, etc... i still talk to my grandfather every day when i pick up the instrument of the day... dont deny them because of silliness, my friend...

Archived