No announcement yet.

building a kit piece by piece

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building a kit piece by piece

I'm not a drummer, I play piano and guitar. Sometimes, though, I'm jamming with multiple guitar or (yikes!) piano players and feel the need to remove myself from that racket and nail down the beat instead. I bought a nice Pearl Session Custom snare about eight years ago, set it up for brushes -- fibreskin top and Pearl Ultra-Sound "D" strainer -- and have used that with excellent results. I added a vintage UFIP hi hat a couple of years ago and am just beginning to play the two together -- still need lots of practice on the hats. I like the idea of learning one item of the kit at a time rather than filling my front room with stuff that I don't really know how to play individually.

One of these days, I'll see another piece of kit on kijiji and maybe add it to the mix. If you had a snare and hats, what would be the next item you'd add?
    Last edited by pogo97; 02-01-2018, 10:18 AM.
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. Arthur Schopenhauer (1788 - 1860)

Budget permitting; I'd add kick drum and a tom. That's a strict drummer thing where the priority is "da beat". One could easily go the percussion route and add more mid range voices for variety.
    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Originally posted by pogo97 View Post

One of these days, I'll see another piece of kit on kijiji and maybe add it to the mix. If you had a snare and hats, what would be the next item you'd add?
      Kick.

-D44
      ************************************************** *********************************

Old guy, just trying to play through the arthritis...
      - Balance is a virtue; loud for its own sake is not... and loud won't fix bad
      - I may not interpret ridiculous, crazy, or stupid the way you intended
      - Common retail products are never awesome (thermo-nuclear probably is, though)
      Assume the requisite list of stuff...

Comment

ive considered building a suitcase kit where the suitcase is the kick... your options are as limitless as your imagination... a jazz cocktail kit is a nice, space efficient kit... once talked a bluegrass band into letting me jam with them... hi hat, snare and bass... i ended up playing with them, off and on for several years... loads of fun and a great learning experience for all involved, especially me!
        my p0asting days were numb bird... now im done... bye.

Comment

Originally posted by Voltan View Post
          ive considered building a suitcase kit where the suitcase is the kick... your options are as limitless as your imagination... a jazz cocktail kit is a nice, space efficient kit... once talked a bluegrass band into letting me jam with them... hi hat, snare and bass... i ended up playing with them, off and on for several years... loads of fun and a great learning experience for all involved, especially me!
          Here's mine:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Suitcase-FR.jpg Views:	1 Size:	68.8 KB ID:	32162639

bracket to hold the tamb and cowbell is attached to the snare. It's an old 1960s Japanese "Apollo" snare.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Suitcase-BV.jpg Views:	1 Size:	74.6 KB ID:	32162638

Click image for larger version  Name:	Suitcase-OH.jpg Views:	1 Size:	70.5 KB ID:	32162640

Everything fits inside the suitcase for travel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Suitcase-PK.jpg Views:	1 Size:	73.2 KB ID:	32162641

Attached Files
          Last edited by -Ed Phobes-; 02-11-2018, 12:01 PM.
          As if seeking consolation in numbers.

Comment

cool kit!
            All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. Arthur Schopenhauer (1788 - 1860)

Comment

• -Ed Phobes-
              -Ed Phobes- commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. It's fun to play too.

And I agree with the above. Get a kick drum next.
          Working...
          X