programming drum parts

mbengs1

• Members

i'd like to program drums for recording. I can either use a drum machine or drum loops in my cakewalk DAW. how can I make real and professional, to a certain extent, drum tracks. what are the basic things to make it sound like a real, good drummer behind a drum kit performing?

• Members
Try listening to good drummers.

how do you program an entire song with the transition parts? coz I don't like going from part to part without a some kind of drum roll. it's very time consuming and it isn't worth the effort I think.

• Members

:freak:

Anyway the capabilities of drum macs are model specific and you probably are going to have to count measures and program specific transition bars. I think you'd get better results if you played Edrums into a separate sequencer than to punch buttons on the machine. BFD though, you gotta figure out your own way.

As to what fills; don't forget rests and dotted notes. Try the tune with no fills. You probably don't need a signal at every turn or red flags at all for that matter. Sometimes leaving something out of the groove proper for a bar might be enough to indicate movement. And yes you may spend many many thankless hours trying to develop those skills It's your music. You need to do whatever it takes.

• Members

Personally, if I were looking to do that with fills and all, I'd probably do it in my DAW with drum loops. That would allow you to drop in fills in whatever bars you need. I have a great loop library from the Loop Loft that has just about everything I might need.

Using my drum machine is a more manual process, as i have to hit the pedal anytime I want a fill, and I don't even do that live. I'm busy enough playing, singing, managing the harmony pedal and the intros and exits of the drum machine.

Archived