Spent the good part of yesterday cleaning my acoustic drum kit

Mikeo

• Members

I swear drums are a dust magnet.

The chrome and wood is pretty shine now.

Damn I hate dust and it seems it never brushes off with a feather duster.

I feel bad for you guys that like a nice looking kit.

I almost want to buy some storage cases for the whole shebang, but it's nice to just have them set up ready to play.

I even have them covered with a couple of big king size black sheets.

• Members

I feel bad for you guys that like a nice looking kit.

I almost want to buy some storage cases for the whole shebang, but it's nice to just have them set up ready to play.

hire a drum duster? :idk:sm-wink

methinks hitting drums would shake, rattle and roll

some of the dust

off

Feather dusters just move the dust around a bit.

What you want is a Swiffer Duster. They work great for getting rid of the dust on musical instruments and equipment of all kinds. I would hate to be without them - they're essential studio gear IMO. You may still want to polish up the chrome and brass once you're done, but if used semi-regularly, they'll keep the wood / shell wrap clean on your kit.

Regular sheets are porous and will allow dust to get through. Most gear covers are made of vinyl or something else similarly impermeable. I'd recommend a vinyl shower curtain as a cheap drum dust cover... :wave:

• Members

Honestly, people don't realize just how dirty a drum kit can get just from sitting. A place dust really likes to hide is in the area between the rim and drum head. An can of compressed air can also be a good thing but it will just release the dust into the air where it will once again settle. One natural finish and laquered drums, you'll want to be careful wiping dust off as you can damage the finish with micro scratches. As Phil mentions ... a static cling duster is a great thing to have. For the most part, just keeping it dusted weekly can go a long way.

• Members
Honestly, people don't realize just how dirty a drum kit can get just from sitting. A place dust really likes to hide is in the area between the rim and drum head. An can of compressed air can also be a good thing but it will just release the dust into the air where it will once again settle. One natural finish and laquered drums, you'll want to be careful wiping dust off as you can damage the finish with micro scratches. As Phil mentions ... a static cling duster is a great thing to have. For the most part, just keeping it dusted weekly can go a long way.

I used some canned air.

For the chrome I used a polish called Metal Gloss, which is amazing chrome cleaner.

The bottle looks like this. I got it from a friend that I went to a motorcycle show with. Drums are kind of like motorcycles in a why. you either playing/ ridding them or cleaning them. If you want them to look nice.

I have a Yamaha digital kit that I keep in a box, when I'm not messing with the thing.

Metal%20Gloss%20Polish.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Archived