Hi Hat 'Clunk!' ~ ?

kr236rk

• Members

Here she is - I can't get that clean jazz 'tsh' from it, the hats clunk together. I can get an excellent ringing if I release the foot pedal just after the hats connect, but I can't get a clean dampened beat from them without the 'clunk' effect.

d266d7135145fe5e467dfee7b481efa3.thumb.jpg.7e7e5aec2de8ba915965537e70fe2f7b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks, have that but however I turn it the hat still sounds clunky.

Think I got it now - had no idea the hat was played so much with the sticks! Now I understand what is meant by 'closed' and 'open' sounding hi-hats! :)

• Members

Next question, thanks for replies :) As I play the hi-hat, foot pedal & sticks, the two hats start to slide out of true. This introduces a horrible hollow sound. When the hats are directly aligned you get a nice crisp sound on striking them. How can I stop the hats moving from side to side please?

33976f516c2ea1edca1c273cf2a89fdd.jpg.9b6da0d267c9d7d6fe1a1cff2b403fc6.jpg

• Members

You want the misalignment so the foot chick sounds crisp. I keep the tilt screw opposite the playing side so the sticks don't get chewed on that protruding edge. ^^ You also need to modulate foot pressure to get good stick sounds and to produce the range of hat sounds.

• Members

There are so many different ideas as to how your Hihats should be positioned. For some, they like a real washy sound and they leave their hi-hats rather close even when they are in the open position. Some drummers prefer that their hi-hats are thickly made cymbals and some want them to be thin. There are companies that make hi-hats with holes in the bottom and some that make them with rivets in the bottom. There is really NO correct way. It's a taste thing.

D

• Members

Looking at these photo's I see the problem as one or two, maybe three things. One, if the hats are not new inspect the center holes for egg shaping. Two, your hi hat stand is worn out, take the hats off and see how much play you have in the center shaft to the center tube. Cheap felts can also create an issue, because they do not compress equal....Cympads are good for curing this..and a couple of other things, make sure the tension on the top hat is tight enough and just fyi I have played many different sets of hats, heavy weighted hats sometimes do not make a "chick" sound but a tink or chunk sound. For the sound you are looking for you may want to get some lighter hats......if your looking for a jazz sounding hat, the ones you have are not the right choice.........JMO.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

[img2=JSON]{"alt":"race81","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/www.harmonycentral.com\/forum\/forum\/Drums_Percussion\/acapella-19\/core\/image.php?userid=166023&thumb=1&dateline=1397137369"}[/img2]

#12.1

race81 commented

11-08-2017, 03:16 PM

Looking at these photo's I see the problem as one or two, maybe three things. One, if the hats are not new inspect the center holes for egg shaping. Two, your hi hat stand is worn out, take the hats off and see how much play you have in the center shaft to the center tube. Cheap felts can also create an issue, because they do not compress equal....Cympads are good for curing this..and a couple of other things, make sure the tension on the top hat is tight enough and just fyi I have played many different sets of hats, heavy weighted hats sometimes do not make a "chick" sound but a tink or chunk sound. For the sound you are looking for you may want to get some lighter hats......if your looking for a jazz sounding hat, the ones you have are not the right choice.........JMO.

im not sure where this quote came from... but some advice should be filtered with good old fashioned critical thinking. one... “keyholes” or keyholing is deformation or elongation of the hole in the center of the cymbal... pretty rare on hats as they pretty much sit level (as all good cymbals should for best sustain), and in almost 50 years of drumming have yet to wear out even the thinnest hats i have... which brings me to 2... ive got an old ludwig hi hat stand thats still perfectly functional that i got with a 1966 ludwig beatles kit... if youve worn out your hi hat stand, youve purchased cheap ****... cheap felts? c’mon... lets talk about oroper technique instead of gear at this point... one more thing, at a buddy rich drum seminar, buddy spoke on hats... and physics.. everybody wanted that swish'. that crisp high singing snap out of their hats and followed the wrong logic and got THINNER hats... and couldnt figure out that THINNER METAL MAKES DEEPER SOUNDS... if you dont believe me, take a hammer to your car hood, and then alternate beats on a steel beam... the treble on that thick steel beam will set your ears on fire while your hood sounds like a bass! ... go on do it again! buy thick hats if you want treble... always remember and never forget, opinions are not fact and when not based in fact should be considered suspect to begin with... i usually take a few moments at set up and just adjust hats... turn the cymbals and find the spot where they fit “just right”... adjust the set screw so they dont align the edges perfectly and fine tune the amount of “loose feel” i like... i prefer that my hats are a but loose when theres no tension... no disrespect to race81, but im guessing unfamiliarity with your instrument is the biggest hurdle you face right now, the good news is the best remedy for that is more time on the throne slapping those skins! id be willing to wager that your hi hat sound will improve 100% if you’ll just wear out two or three pair of sticks just on your hats... it rarely happens the first time you sit behind your kit... and thats why god created the other instruments... for the rhythmically challenged humans... she didnt want them feeling too left out so we have guitars, keyboards, and all the lesser arcane...

Archived