Hi Hat 'Clunk!' ~ ?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Hat 'Clunk!' ~ ?

Hi,

Have a new hi-hat but it closes with a 'clunk' not a clean 'shwsht' or whatever the term is. Any ideas please? Thanks
    ric

What hi hats did you get - model / size?

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

If your stand has a tilter screw, try that. Cheap cymbals might still sound crappy even then. I get good results with a heavy bottom and a thin crash for the top.
      Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

I'm gonna lean on the bottom tilt screw not being correct. You need a little lean on that bottom hat. If the cymbals are perfectly matched and there is no lean, i've even had them to lock up (suction) together.

D
        Keeping the Harmony at Harmony Central

Comment

Or the hats from electric drums.

Comment

Thanks

Total rookie :-o

The hats are 'Zildjian' - so I know they're good - 14" Hats. Pictures of stand to follow
            ric

Comment

Here she is - I can't get that clean jazz 'tsh' from it, the hats clunk together. I can get an excellent ringing if I release the foot pedal just after the hats connect, but I can't get a clean dampened beat from them without the 'clunk' effect.
              ric

Comment

There's a thumbscrew missing here. It tilts the bottom washer and alleviates "airlock".

Click image for larger version

Name:	tiltimage_127448.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	32087052

Comment

Originally posted by 1001gear View Post
                  There's a thumbscrew missing here. It tilts the bottom washer and alleviates "airlock".

Thanks, have that but however I turn it the hat still sounds clunky.
                  ric

Comment

Originally posted by kr236rk View Post

Thanks, have that but however I turn it the hat still sounds clunky.

Think I got it now - had no idea the hat was played so much with the sticks! Now I understand what is meant by 'closed' and 'open' sounding hi-hats!
                    ric

Comment

Never seen a lug screw for a tilter.

Comment

Next question, thanks for replies As I play the hi-hat, foot pedal & sticks, the two hats start to slide out of true. This introduces a horrible hollow sound. When the hats are directly aligned you get a nice crisp sound on striking them. How can I stop the hats moving from side to side please?
                        ric

Comment

• race81
                          race81 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Looking at these photo's I see the problem as one or two, maybe three things. One, if the hats are not new inspect the center holes for egg shaping. Two, your hi hat stand is worn out, take the hats off and see how much play you have in the center shaft to the center tube. Cheap felts can also create an issue, because they do not compress equal....Cympads are good for curing this..and a couple of other things, make sure the tension on the top hat is tight enough and just fyi I have played many different sets of hats, heavy weighted hats sometimes do not make a "chick" sound but a tink or chunk sound. For the sound you are looking for you may want to get some lighter hats......if your looking for a jazz sounding hat, the ones you have are not the right choice.........JMO.

You want the misalignment so the foot chick sounds crisp. I keep the tilt screw opposite the playing side so the sticks don't get chewed on that protruding edge. ^^ You also need to modulate foot pressure to get good stick sounds and to produce the range of hat sounds.

Comment

There are so many different ideas as to how your Hihats should be positioned. For some, they like a real washy sound and they leave their hi-hats rather close even when they are in the open position. Some drummers prefer that their hi-hats are thickly made cymbals and some want them to be thin. There are companies that make hi-hats with holes in the bottom and some that make them with rivets in the bottom. There is really NO correct way. It's a taste thing.

D
                          Keeping the Harmony at Harmony Central

Comment

Working...
                          X