Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

96% of bands looking for better drummer!

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96% of bands looking for better drummer!

Say what?

This is funny stuff:

http://www.theonion.com/article/poll...er-drumm-27641

Keeping the Harmony at Harmony Central

need we wonder why?
    100% are looking for new guitarists...
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
    "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

Puhleez. Most bands don't realize that the reason they think the drummer is lacking is they don't know enough to know they themselves suck. If you ask me, most drummers wouldn't embarrass themselves by trying; keeping it generic to at least fulfill a professional norm.
      Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Funny piece!

IMHO, it's funny because there's a grain of truth to it. (Ducking to avoid the shower of drum sticks headed towards my head... )

The drummer is so fundamental to a band that a mediocre one can make the rest of the band look / sound bad, even if they're all decent players... a great one can make mediocre players sound better - just about any band is better with a good drummer.

...and great drummers are relatively scarce. The ones that do exist are in high demand, and most bands out there don't have great drummers. Ergo, many bands would like to have a better drummer.

For more laughs, check out this article too:

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/articl...ing-in-my-head

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

• daddymack
          daddymack commented
          Editing a comment
          priceless!

This article made me feel very insecure. I asked my bandmates if it was true, and they said "congratulations, you're in the 4%". I hope they were being honest!

Comment

IDK, friend of mine is playing with Bob Seger tonight, so I guess Bob found a better drummer.
          Everybody is terminally ill.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
            Funny piece!

IMHO, it's funny because there's a grain of truth to it. (Ducking to avoid the shower of drum sticks headed towards my head... )

The drummer is so fundamental to a band that a mediocre one can make the rest of the band look / sound bad, even if they're all decent players... a great one can make mediocre players sound better - just about any band is better with a good drummer.

...and great drummers are relatively scarce. The ones that do exist are in high demand, and most bands out there don't have great drummers. Ergo, many bands would like to have a better drummer.

For more laughs, check out this article too:

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/articl...ing-in-my-head

You just described my band. Me and guitarist are extremely high level. Drummer is medioce at best. It sucks trust me
            -Chummy

Comment

• 1001gear
              1001gear commented
              Editing a comment
              So how can two extremely high level players make music with a mediocre drummer? Ignore if joking or just high.

Back when I played with other musicians (piano - pretty much solo these days) , my complaint was with drummers trying to play impressive fills and such - but didn't know how to lay down a good groove. Sometimes laying down a great groove can be more knowing what to leave out more than throwing everything you have into it.

https://soundcloud.com/david-goethe/tracks

Dave's ,YouTube channel

Comment

Steely Dan after all those tracks with nary a bad lick finally went on the road with Keith Carlock - who IMO did the worst renditions of any Dan tune period. Disappointing since prior to hearing him with the band I thought he'd be the perfect addition. Turns out instead of displaying any kind of intelligent approach to the covers, he went ahead (and probably at their encouragement and blessing) funked it all front to back. Sounded like a kid on his first tour.
              Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Working...
              X