Seeking electronic drum kit advice

dalcini

• Members

Hey all,

I'm looking for advice on what has changed with electronic kits over the last 10 years or so. Here's my situation: I used to gig in a rock band about 15 years ago. Nowadays, my two guitar players are doing small gigs playing country and top 40 (just two guitars) in local rooms around town. They want me to join for a three piece, but an acoustic kit is too loud for these places. I have a Hart Dynamics Pro 6.4 electronic kit (that I've pretty much never used) with an Roland TD-12 module sitting in my basement. They want me to dust it off and use it for the gigs.

So my question:

Should I just fire this thing up and use it, or has it become horribly out-dated over the past 10 years? It's a 6 piece trigger kit (big) - and I really only need a four piece. Am I better off selling these and getting something more modern and smaller? I'm really mainly concerned about whether my stuff is antiquated due to the fast evolution of electronics. Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Danny

• Members

Hey Rayboomboom,

Thanks for the reply. Well, the kit sounds fine as you might imagine - really because the sound only boils down to the quality of the samples in the module, and the Roland has that covered really well. The last time I played the kit (15 years ago) I was trying to replace my acoustic kit to lower the noise at band practice. I gave up on it at the time because the small amount of latency between hitting the drums and when the trigger actually generated sound was just enough that it sucked the feel out of my playing. (Maybe I'm just a hack though - a definite possibility!) :D

Anyway - I'm willing to give these things another try if it means I can gig with my pals again - but I thought it would be interesting to hear some opinions about how relevant my 15 year old E-drum tech still is.

Oh, and by the way if by "G.A.S. symptoms", you mean my urge to perform self administered retail-therapy - then yes, they are generally out of control. I'm trying very hard to stay away from Musician's Friend, Guitar Center, and the classifieds page here on Harmony Central!

• 2 months later...
  • Members
Hey Rayboomboom,

Thanks for the reply. Well, the kit sounds fine as you might imagine - really because the sound only boils down to the quality of the samples in the module, and the Roland has that covered really well. The last time I played the kit (15 years ago) I was trying to replace my acoustic kit to lower the noise at band practice. I gave up on it at the time because the small amount of latency between hitting the drums and when the trigger actually generated sound was just enough that it sucked the feel out of my playing. (Maybe I'm just a hack though - a definite possibility!) :D

Anyway - I'm willing to give these things another try if it means I can gig with my pals again - but I thought it would be interesting to hear some opinions about how relevant my 15 year old E-drum tech still is.

Oh, and by the way if by "G.A.S. symptoms", you mean my urge to perform self administered retail-therapy - then yes, they are generally out of control. I'm trying very hard to stay away from Musician's Friend, Guitar Center, and the classifieds page here on Harmony Central!

If you are willing to spend a little I can make two suggestions: 1. Pick up atv ad5 drum brain. They work with all Roland triggers and the sounds are much, much better. The feel is generally very good and would be comparable currently to using the Roland kit. Apparently in the summer they will be releasing drum shells with triggers and cymbal triggers that will make the kit play much better but that is aways off. Second for more money -- get the td50 digital upgrade kit. That gives you much better sounds compared with td12 (I own own and did own a td12 about seven years ago so this is based on direct experience) and the new digital ride and snare -- much better feel and fairly close to acoustic in terms of playability esp the snare. The remaining pads you have will take care of every thing else and save you a bit of money. Hope this helps!

Archived