Tama imperialstar - Red sparkle vs candy apple mist: Same thing, different name?

Mickmeister

• Members

I was about to pull the trigger on one of the used Imperialstars in the links below. Then I found out that GC would charge me $129 to ship to my local store for in-store pickup. So now it would seam more logical to just spend the little extra $ and buy a brand new kit. The only thing is, the finish on those used kits looks downright drool-worthy (I have a thing for red sparkle!), whereas the brand new one pictured on GC's site (see link) doesn't look anywhere near as classy. I'm also noticing that Tama calls the finish "Candy Apple Mist", whereas the GC site is calling it "Red sparkle".

Does anyone know if these are two different finishes, or are we just dealing with the same finish under different lighting conditions and names?

USED:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Tama/Imperialstar-Drum-Kit-112235600.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Tama/Imperialstar-Drum-Kit-112513548.gc

NEW:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tama/Imperialstar-6-Piece-Drum-Set-with-Cymbals-J04277.gc

• Members

First Off I'm not totally Sure?? But I first searched "Tama Red Sparkle" and got the first pic (plus others) I then Searched "Tama Candy Apple Mist" and got (plus others) The Floor tom and Snare Pics. If you click on each pic and get a bigger view, TO ME IT "SEEMS" that the sparkle finish is a just that, a more pronounced "Sparkle" finish that may glitter under the lights a little more?? The Candy Apple "SEEMS" to be more of a Red Sheen like an old hot rod car that was painted "candy apple red"??, Tama's Candy Apple, FROM THE PICs, SEEMS to have a more "Red Sheen" and the sparkles are more deep within the finish. So I guess the "Sparkle" would be more vintage looking? and the "Candy" would be more modern or "Sleek" looking?? Hope this helps!!

e1b0a2a6ebb07ec547a96ae3ad53ca17.jpg.bc97056dd74d3a4a896fc44f3863d6a4.jpg

41c14c62b2069429902a1c24faba7697.jpg.05303d1085d9c8e71bf84d75a9fb3152.jpg

957316f1f0af624c61b29cdcc6b4441a.jpg.1ad82b3f9848cfb949be2b9428fbd08e.jpg

• Members

So here it is. This finish seems to look very different from one pic to the next...it's very dependent on lighting. The pic on Tama's web site was shot in a very slick professional white environment which doesn't do it justice...all that white is reflecting off the gloss and obscuring the sparkle. In this pic I positioned a lamp down low to accent the sparkle.

To add to the confusion, Tama calls this "Candy Apple Mist", but many people are just using the generic term "red sparkle".

Anyway, here's what it looks like!

fetch?filedataid=121335

• Members

Sweet! Looks like you got the best of both worlds! The Candy Apple redness with a decent sparkle pattern within it! Main thing is as long as you like it! The only thing I kinda don't like is the hard plastic bass hoops, other makers do it as well, I guess to keep cost down? But I would sure hit it! ;-) Real nice kit!

• Members

Yeah...I still prefer the old-school sparkle finishes...you look at it and there's no doubt you're looking at a sparkling drum kit. But that seems to be very hard to come by these days. This is a more subtle effect...if I turned those lamps off you wouldn't even see the sparkle in the pic. Under the right viewing conditions, though, they're beautiful drums.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived