Journey- Almost same line up in 2016 as in 1981

twosticks

• Members

Back in the early 80's, I was a BIG Journey fan and Steve Smith fan! Steve and the band made me want to be a "rock star" drummer and got me into drumming. The current 2016 line up is the same as the Escape (1981) and Frontiers (1983) albums line up EXCEPT for Steve Perry the lead singer. Steve Smith-DRUMS, Ross Valory-BASS, Neal Schon-GUITARS, Jonathan Cain-KEYS AND GUITARS and Arnel Pinel?-LEAD VOCALS. This is the best audio and close enough video of the band I could find so far on this tour.

In the past Mr Smith didn't want to be associated with Journey unless Perry was on board. When Journey's former drummer got into legal trouble, Smith offered to step in and drum during this tour to support the band and as a favor to Schon, who Smith still plays and records with from time to time. Steve Smith is an AWESOME drummer and is amazing to see him play his jazz and fusion numbers, but I also love his rock playing. But, it seems to me like he's not that passionate about Journey's music anymore, The notes and beats he plays are Flawless, but he doesn't seem to have the same rock chops he used to or is it that he seems so stoic on stage now??

I know half of it is that he is such a talented drummer now that he can play the same beats with less effort than before, meaning that he is such an extraordinary player, some older rock beats are kinda beneath his skill level anymore. But is it just me?? I'm NOT talking about the Lead singer part at all, but the music and Smith's drumming on this tour versus the 80's. Maybe the rest of the band is just average now and Smith is just playing along so as to not over power them?? Maybe there's not really good audio clips to capture the real depth of his set and playing now??? Your Thoughts and Feedback?? Just for fun! No big debates or fights about it. ;-)

• Members

Okay, just to answer your question about his intensity, I watched a couple other current videos with SS on drums and he seems as enthusiastic as anyone else on stage.

In this one, once you get past the Neil Schon having to do his thing, at about 4:00 min they all come in, each with the same amount of exuberance as the other, IMHO.

• Members

Sure is strange that voice coming out of that guy. Isn't he from the Philippines?

I know what 2stix means though. Pert of it is today's perspective; old guys, old tunes, Journey was about the happening big venue rock at the time. How they supposed to pull that off when it's 40 yrs later?

Back to Mr. Smith; I can't see him getting enthused over material he can do in a coma.

• Members
Sure is strange that voice coming out of that guy. Isn't he from the Philippines?

I know what 2stix means though. Pert of it is today's perspective; old guys, old tunes, Journey was about the happening big venue rock at the time. How they supposed to pull that off when it's 40 yrs later?

Back to Mr. Smith; I can't see him getting enthused over material he can do in a coma.

It sure is

Steve Perry hasn't sung in 20 years they say. He has a new album that maybe released this year. I'm not sure how Perry makes a living these days, but he might have invested well or something.

I have Infinity thru Raised On Radio in vinyl from my youth, and a copy of Steve Perry 'salbum Street Talk.

• Members

Steve Perry hasn't sung in 20 years they say.

Steve actually made a surprise appearance with a band called The Eels, in St. Paul, MN, back in 2014. It was said to be the first time he had performed live since 1995. Of course the videos from it went viral and speculation that he would be back leading the band was rampant. He's performed with The Eels at a number of other venues since, but no return to Journey. Could be the band's choice to stay with their current vocalist or it could be that Steve's voice isn't in shape to hold up for an entire tour.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It sure is

Steve Perry hasn't sung in 20 years they say. He has a new album that maybe released this year. I'm not sure how Perry makes a living these days, but he might have invested well or something.

I have Infinity thru Raised On Radio in vinyl from my youth, and a copy of Steve Perry 'salbum Street Talk.

He wrote some really big songs. As long as they keep getting played...

Archived