John Bonham, Mitch Mitchell, John Densmore, Steve Gadd

zanshin777

• Members

John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)

Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix)

John Densmore (The Doors)

Steve Gadd (Eric Clapton)

I love their drums style and find that somewhat similar. I think I'm seeking a drummer in the same style for my band.

1) Can we generalize their style as jazz style?

2) What are their characteristics? (Playing, gear, recording etc.)

3) Your thoughts about them?

• Members

Bonham - innovator but too loose.

Mitchell - frustrated jazzer trying to invent fusion.

Densmore - Doors are cool. I wouldn't call the drumming worthy of note but that's just cause he did the gig.

Steve Gadd - Big influence. First pop guy with chops and a superb sense of rhythm. Meets or exceeds the parameters of all recorded examples. Nothing negative to say about him.

You can generalize 'em if you want. Of the four, only Steve Gadd can Jazz.

• Members

I thought it was Steve Ferrone that played with Clapton??? To me they're all Rock drummers, as in classic rock. They all played what was right for the song and yet, had there own style. And I don't mean "Rock Drummer" as a simple term, just that's the style of music they played while in those bands. In fact, they were a vital part of each band's success. I would take it as a compliment if someone said I played like any one of these guys.

• Members

Maybe Gadd is touring with Clapton now? Gadd seems like overkill for Clapton although I imagine he'd do a consummate job. Steve Ferone is on the uninteresting side. I think they hire him for his looks and then (big plus) he can manage world gigs and won't get in the way.

• Members

To me Mitchell and Densmore both play rock with a jazz sounding/feeling foundation.

Bonham to an extent the same with the ghost notes he used. But he sounds like a rock drummer and would probably still sound like a rock drummer if I heard him play jazz.

But whatever Gadd plays he sounds authentic to the music in the moment. When he plays rock it sounds like rock, jazz sounds like jazz, samba like samba, blues like blues.

Check this out this version of Crossroads, not my favorite song, but I really like this version and what Gadd did on it.

• Members

The one time I saw Gadd live I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I was prepared for this mythical beast effortlessly swirling out magical figures and instead there was that ^ guy looking like a marionette. One of the all time WTFs in my experience. :confused2: This was definitely a thinker.

Turns out it's pretty simple. He articulates at the resolution of the groove. Four on the floor? Long wave transmission from the core out. Presto, groove. Maybe the most valuable thing I learned about drumming.

• Members
Maybe Gadd is touring with Clapton now? Gadd seems like overkill for Clapton although I imagine he'd do a consummate job. Steve Ferone is on the uninteresting side. I think they hire him for his looks and then (big plus) he can manage world gigs and won't get in the way.

Its the big payoff for Steve for a lifetime of great work - sort of like Ray Charles doing Pepsi commercials.

Clapton is probably close to top dog on the touring scene. Clapton's Hyde Park concert video is really the Steve Gadd show but, like you say, he plays behind Clapton and does the "consummate job" and the drums sound like a Steely Dan record.

I'd LOVE to play in front of that guy.

[video=youtube;6Iugs4pSpgY]

[video=youtube;l7ieRllx2kc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7ieRllx2kc

Archived