Calling all GEEZERS!!!

Dendy Jarrett

• Members

Ummm... guess I qualify in geezer-hood-ness.

Currently experimenting with a "drum kit in a box" idea: Yamaha DTX-M12. Setting pad locations and voices to simulate my acoustic kit, see if I can come up with a way to reduce load-in/load-out time by 90% or so. (Not that I'm interested in gigging much, these days.)

-D44

• Members

Every year, I'm a little closer to that Geezer title than I wanna be - yikes!

Still drumming away in whatever band I'm enjoying and some stuff on my own. I'll post a video soon. I made a bet with a buddy in the fall about losing 10 pounds, and he lost it faster than I did. As a result, as I said I'd take a song of his old band and do a drum cover of it.

Of course, I took a song that didn't have any drum tracks... and added drum tracks... we'll see how it comes out when editing is done!

• Members
Carmine wused out and went electronic. His whole kit fits in a floor tom bag. - nudge nudge

Thinking about that, myself. Probably come in handy when it comes time to move into "The Home" -- to deal with both space and volume concerns.

In the meantime, when I do play out -- rarely, these days -- I'm happy to pare down the number of toms I bother to schlepp. Still, the weight of everything -- Gibraltar rack, etc. -- adds up.

-D44

• Members

I'm still here! Mostly working at the jail, 12 hour shifts so I haven't gigged in awhile. Still got my 7-piece Yamaha Stage Custom kit (See Profile Pic) with 70's Ludwig Acrolite Snare. Practice some on my off days on my Roland TD-4 V-drums snare and added 3rd cymbal pad. :music024:

• Members

Guys, I am asking in earnest - Let's start hanging around again. I miss the crew and would like to see those of us who have been around for years (even if amiss for some time), pass the torch to the next generation of drummers.

And if you guys will look in the sticky, I had suggested we re-invent the box of rocks. I have something to start the ball rolling and it isn't a gag.

Anyway, hope you guys concur.

Thanks

D

• Members

Click on the middle tool icon to the right (capital "A" underlined). This opens the advanced tool bar. Then there is an icon that looks like a strip of film. Click on that. It opens a place where you can place a link to your you tube of vimeo channel and will place it as a playable window in the post.

Hope that helps

D

• Members

Yes, oh yes, almost 50 years of schlepping has taken its toll for sure. Everything now-a-days is getting smaller and lighter...no longer do I have to haul B3s and Leslie 122s in the back of a 26ft box truck. No longer are there 1" or 2" throated Sunn horns to throw up on stacks of front loaded cabinets, heavy enough to make a moving man wish for days gone by. Everything is getting lighter...hell our board now is software based with what looks like a snake box with XLR connectors being driven by Ipads, and using in ear monitors instead of 15" Yamaha floor wedges ate 60lbs each.

And yet now, the only thing that hasn't changed, is the almighty drum kit...still heavy, still complicated with heavy stands, adjustment balls with tilting metal hangers...it's still a sclepp by any definition of the word!

NOT FOR ME BABY!!!!!! next week this old fart turns 60...the big Magilla, and my schlepping days are numbered. No I am not quiting playing...I'll never do that again...BUT I SURE AS HELL am gong smaller! I am reinventing my image and my instrument. I'm using in-ear monitors, headset mic, 3 mics total on the kit, and am reting the 18x22 Blue Jay kick drum. I was looking into the smaller kits from Sonor, but couldn't find the color nor setup I cared for.

So now, I'll be sporting a 14x16 kick, 8x10 rack, 9x13, floor, and 10x12 floor. Got a new flip over setup for my largest floor tom to raise it and let it boom. And now since they make a 16" EMAD, how low can I go with a kick port as well...we shall see! Top that off with I'm ditching ALL the big double braced TAMA hardware from the 80s and going with some old Slingerland cymbal stands to give me more of a sparse yet vintage look! I HAVE HAD ENOUGH! THIS OLD DOG HAS NEW TRICKS UP HIS SLEEVE and I'm gonna make the most of it!

• Members
Ummm... guess I qualify in geezer-hood-ness.

Currently experimenting with a "drum kit in a box" idea: Yamaha DTX-M12. Setting pad locations and voices to simulate my acoustic kit, see if I can come up with a way to reduce load-in/load-out time by 90% or so. (Not that I'm interested in gigging much, these days.)

-D44

Thinking about that, myself. Probably come in handy when it comes time to move into "The Home" -- to deal with both space and volume concerns.

In the meantime, when I do play out -- rarely, these days -- I'm happy to pare down the number of toms I bother to schlepp. Still, the weight of everything -- Gibraltar rack, etc. -- adds up.

-D44

So I've been considering e-drums (and also downsizing to a smaller number of "e-toms" while at it) to better manage the schlepp factor... and I think I could probably cut the existing weight by at least half, and save maybe ¾ths of the space in the transport vehicle. At some significant cost.

In the meantime, though, the "drum kit in a box" idea does seem to show some promise, although without an ounce of soul, class, or panache.

The equipment list could be as short as:

- multi-pad (incl. power and instrument cables)

- two foot pedals (and cables)

- pad stand

- throne

- optional clamp-on optional beer can and stick holders :)

- stick bag

Assumes plug-in to the PA system... a separate pile of stuff to hump around...

-D44

• Members

Seems that turning 60 finally brings us to our senses. I turned 60 three years ago and my wife and kids knew that I was looking for a little be-bop kit for a few years but never pulled the trigger. My family gave me the money and explicit directions that it was to be used to buy the little kit that I had been wanting. I bought the Ludwig Breakbeat set and have been very happy with them The whole set fits in the back seat of my Ford Focus and the 14 x 16 kick really has some punch to it. It seems that I choose this set over my other 2 ( a 5 piece '67 Ludwig 3 ply and a 7 piece set of Pearls) more often then not. I have received many compliments on the sound of the set with many people saying they didn't expect a little set to sound so big.

Enjoy you smaller set as I have, and enjoy having the extra energy that wasn't expended setting up and tearing down.

• Members

YUep...I just helped a friend purchase the Sonor Safari kit. I put them together, tuned them up, and the floor tom is as bold as my PDPs. Onlt thing I didn't care for was the tom mount bracket position. Because the rack is so small, it wouldn't let me keep the kick away while bringing the rack in far enough. The 8x10 gets lost at a distance...Buit the drums sound and look great!

• Members

You know, it's been a love hate thing lately with this 24" kick. I love the way it sounds and looks, too. I'll be 56 in July and I'm enjoying the age. But we built our own house: laid our own adobe bricks, lifted the rafters for the roof, ran the pour for the cement slab, we did almost all the work ourselves, and it's taken a bit of a toll on my body. I see a 20" or even 18" kick drum in my future along with smaller toms. Hell, I might even go for the ?uestlove kit myself someday.

• Members

Stiull working on enhancing this a bit, but I gigged with it on Saturday, and it punched out through all stage elements pretty well. I'm reinventing it now with an EMAD and a new front head, along with a leather beating pad of my own concoction. I don't want it metally, just protected and punchy. I used a leather pad for years and years, but lost it somewhere down the road.

This is my starting point...it's only an ambient mic off my laptop, with some compression and ambient, but this is my starting point...

• Members

What is it with small kits that make them such fun to play?!? I love my rock kit (aka Fort Kick Ass), but whenever it's packed up, I break out my old Yamaha Stage Customs. 10" rack tom and 14" floor tom. Put on the 13" hi-hats and get too funky for myself!

That kit just looks like pure fun, Carm.

Archived