BREAKING: NEIL PEART RETIRES

Dendy Jarrett

• Members

I understand! With so many of us ready to retire after being with our jobs after 25 to 30 years and yet we expect these guys to keep on until they're 90 or something?? Much like my favorite band Genesis and EVERYONE and their dog still waiting for Peter Gabriel to return and tour??? Or for like Plant to return and tour with Led Zep again??? Give it up, let these guys retire and enjoy it!

Plus like the video of Rush above and the last Tour Phil had with Genesis in 2007 where the tempo has been slowed down and the vocal ranges have been lower a few octaves, it's not really the same, Not trying to be critical, but when a tribute band sounds more like your original hits than you do, it might be time to give it a rest.

I think Neal and the whole gang TOTALLY deserves it!! If I was in a Stellar band that had millions in sales and dollars and had been working, recording and touring for over 25-30 years and had no need to work again or worry about money and was just keeping on since it was still fun, the minute it stopped being fun and had a chance to do other things and enjoy life and family, I would do the same. especially with Neal after losing his spouse and family, rebuilding his life and building a new family!! Heck Yeah, let them enjoy their lives!! Who knows, you will probably see them tour again one year if all goes well.

• Members

Saw this a few years back, Never knew these guys were so funny!! Plus Geddy Lee is a big Genesis fan! (My Favorite group!) A video of the three of them at dinner just to see how they act off stage I guess?? I think they could have a second career on a TV show!!

Twosticks Bringer of Video.

What exactly is wrong with his hands?

I'd be interested in hearing more about this too. If he's retiring because he's done his 40 years and wants to spend time with his family and see the world or just relax, I can't say I blame him... but if he's retiring not because he wants to, but because health / wrist issues are forcing him into it, he has my sympathy and condolences. I feel horrible for any musician who loves to play, but can no longer physically do so.

• Members

From the article that Dendy posted at the top. (Link is just above the picture in his post)

"Over the the summer, Rush embarked on their “R40 Tour” celebrating the 40th anniversary of drummer Neil Peart’s membership in the band. At the time, bandmate Alex Lifeson said it would likely be the band’s final full-scale tour together due to his psoriatic arthritis and Peart’s chronic tendonitis. While Lifeson left the door open for future projects, including smaller tours and soundtrack work, he said the band’s ultimate fate lays in the hands of music’s greatest drummer."

It's the love of music and playing that keeps guys like that going in spite of the pain... but at some point, it becomes too much to keep dealing with. As I said, they have my sympathy and condolences because I'm sure they'd both rather be able to keep doing what they love, but not if it always hurts to do so.

• Members

You know, for what it's worth, Neil never actually said he's retiring. Geddy also came out and said he's not retiring yet and that it's all in a small vein of context. Neil's exact words: "Lately Olivia has been introducing me to new friends at school as ‘My dad– He’s a retired drummer.’ True to say–funny to hear. And it does not pain me to realize that, like all athletes, there comes a time to… take yourself out of the game. I would rather set it aside then face the predicament described in our song ‘Losing It’ (‘Sadder still to watch it die, than never to have known it’).”

For a man known for speaking in rhetoric, the reaction to this article, quote, and all the countless shared headlines is sorta embarrassing. Don't get me wrong: I think he WILL at some point say "yes, I'm done," and I support and thank him for all his inspiration and music. I also think that time will be soon, now that the R40 tour is done. But c'mon... this isn't exactly what he's stated.

• Members

in general, physical limitations associated with aging are pretty much a given. so i guess if one sees music as an athletic event then by all means retire, retire early, retire while youre still making money... because thats what youre good for, making money... and thats not a bad thing, but dont fool yourself into thinking youre an artist, because you dont necessarily fit into that realm just because you are a proficient technician. i guess i dont understand because for me, creating things is part of who i am. i quickly begin to self destruct when in situations where i cant be sculpting, making music, writing... you retire from work, how do you retire from your heart?

• CMS Author
in general' date=' physical limitations associated with aging are pretty much a given. so i guess if one sees music as an athletic event then by all means retire, retire early, retire while youre still making money... because thats what youre good for, making money... and thats not a bad thing, but dont fool yourself into thinking youre an artist, because you dont necessarily fit into that realm just because you are a proficient technician. i guess i dont understand because for me, creating things is part of who i am. i quickly begin to self destruct when in situations where i cant be sculpting, making music, writing... you retire from work, how do you retire from your heart?[/quote']

You don't. When you're ready, you'll know it. Retiring from a long career of writing, recording and touring does not necessarily mean you stop making music. It only means you stop making music for others. Everyone is different, and for some people, being able to look back on a wonderful career is ample reward and makes saying "enough" quite easy. Think of it as the end of a long artistic project. You know there is nothing more you can add, subtract or change that will improve what you've done.

• Members

craig, yes, individual differences are in play, without saying. your comment on finishing an artistic piece drove the point better than you may realize. perspective... career? sounds 9 to 5 to me. success? loads of money and sales... making music for other people? resting on ones laurels? sounds like corporate bs to me. i recently finished a granite sculpture that has been in the works for over 15 years. i suppose i could look back on that time and say, yes, this is a good piece, nothing more i can add or subtract from it... ( kind of difficult, that adding to stone sculpture thing...) and somehow i dont feel elated and filled with pride, i feel lost because now i need a new journey. i create for me, because something drives me to shape stone and sound, space and vibration. its cool if someone else feels something from it, its great if it allows me to make a living, but that isnt the drive. my pleasure, my release comes from the actual creation and birthing process, after that, the kid is on its own and i need to find another stone to walk with or another story that needs telling...

Hopeful Neils tech and truck driver can find employment when he calls it a day.

It's probably a full time job for a couple of folks moving and setting up this kit. biggrin.gif

img25.jpg

Miking up that kit would also be a challenge for any engineer.

I wonder if there are microphones mounted inside many of the drums? It might make it a bit easier - their sound checks must be a real pain!

• Members

You don't. When you're ready, you'll know it. Retiring from a long career of writing, recording and touring does not necessarily mean you stop making music. It only means you stop making music for others. Everyone is different, and for some people, being able to look back on a wonderful career is ample reward and makes saying "enough" quite easy. Think of it as the end of a long artistic project. You know there is nothing more you can add, subtract or change that will improve what you've done.

Craig: I like what you write very much!!! I can also understand Voltan because he does music and art and always seems to have the need to create. Whatever you call it, there must also be a time of rest and reflection. Neil Peart has also been heavily into world motorcycling and bicycling as well over the past 10-20 years. He has lost a spouse and a child over the past 10 or so years. Peart is also an AVID reader and has been then main lyricist in RUSH for over like 35 years now. So I could understand if he wanted to stop and take time to sit on his laurels or whatever. Like others, the worst thing you can say to me is I can't do something. But I also can't wait for the day when I've earned the privilege to wake up, slowly drink my morning coffee, enjoy the day and take a nap or two if I want. :-)

• CMS Author

Moi? I've had different jobs/careers, none of them in music professionally (I don't count my live sound work as primary income, not enough of it). I did the 9to5, did blue collar, and currently am starting a small home improvement business. I'm happier with my work than I've ever been. Was scared ****less of going on my own, but it's proven to be only terrifying. But I build things. I fix things that sucked before I showed up. People are happy with my work. I'm as much my own boss as any person can be who needs money in exchange for work. For me this is the beginning of the end of my journey as a working person. If I'm lucky I will retire from this in a decade or so...IF it feels as if there isn't something else to do.. But I can feel that "I'm finished" part waiting for me.

• CMS Author

I'm enjoying the "wake up, drink my morning coffee..." thing in addition to having my career. As a self-employed person, I can sometimes make my own hours depending upon the project, weather, and other needs. It's nice not to have a clock to watch ALL THE TIME.

But it also means I have to self-motivate. Some people have that innately. I don't. I work better with a deadline, but feel better when I don't. If that makes any sense....

Archived