Vocal Mic Solutions For Drummer

MDMachiavelli

• Members

I'm looking for vocal mic ideas for a drummer. I know that there is basically two options, headset or a boom, but I was looking for a little more info than that?

If you think a headset is the way to go, which one are you using and what is your setup?

If you are using a boom what kind are you using and what is the placement?

I would just liked to get some ideas and discussion going.

Thanks.

• Members

I've read there's a Crown model (forget which) that's well-suited for drummers because of the pickup pattern. No direct experience.

I use a Sennheiser head mic, ME2, condenser, variously described as having a super-cardioid (when I bought it) and cardioid (their current website) pattern. Whatever, works very well, comfortable to wear. Would be maybe useful if they offered the thing in different colors, since the stark black boom and mic/windscreen could perhaps seem a bit obtrusive to the viewer. (From inside my own eyes, I never notice.)

-D44

• Members

This is an ago-old dilemma for drummers. I prefer the convenience of a headset mic (with an inline mute switch for times when I need to communicate with band-mates, but because I move my head so much when I play, it isn't a practical solution, so I am left to the overhead boom mic. I come from the side or rear (depending on room limitations). For me it is the only option.

D

• Members
This is an ago-old dilemma for drummers. I prefer the convenience of a headset mic (with an inline mute switch for times when I need to communicate with band-mates, but because I move my head so much when I play, it isn't a practical solution, so I am left to the overhead boom mic. I come from the side or rear (depending on room limitations). For me it is the only option.

D

Seems like that is what I am leaning towards as well.

• Members
simply an observation' date=' but i do notice how small people generally resort to personal cuts when lacking anything of merit to add... [/quote']

You are exactly right, that's why you started this off with... "try not to get too much of that derp on ya..."

If that isn't a personal cut I'm not sure what is.

So I'll repeat, you try but you fall very short.

• Members

My brother sings while playing drums and uses a boom with a long goose neck. The mic stand is setup behind him with the boom coming over his head and the goose neck bringing the mic down in front of his face. When he doesn't need the mic, he simply swings the boom to the side.

levon_helm.jpg

I always though Levon looked a bit awkward with his head turned to the side like that. My brother's setup is similar to this but the stand is directly behind him and he faces forward while singing. He doesn't like the headset solution because he can't vary the distance from the mic while singing.

• Members

Thanks dude, I'm pretty sure that's what we are going to do. I bought a 19" gooseneck from Amazon and it is supposed to be here Friday. My drummer and me will mess around with location and position this weekend to see where it will work best. I'll let you know what we do and see what you think.

Archived