Steve Smith returns to Journey

FitchFY

• Members

Wow! I'm so amazed! This is THE man that got me so wanting to play the drums! And a lifelong Journey fan! The 1980 Departure album and then the Live Captured album blew my socks off! and then along came Escape! I used to air drum concerts in my parents living room in the early 80's much like Tom Cruise in Risky Business back when. I lived and breathed Journey and Steve Smith back when!! In 86' Steve Perry and Herbie Herbet (mgr) was hell bent on being more 'pop like' and keeping up with 80's sounds (Raised on Radio) that he had Valory fired since they couldn't keep up with the electronic and speeded up sounds of pop and hip hop songs and tempos back in the late 80's. Smith quit the band as a result over Valory's firing in 86'. Since Smith had always vowed that "Journey without Perry wasn't Journey" and felt that no other singer would match his range, is why he never re-joined the band until Perry re-joined in 94' or 96' and had the "Trial by Fire" album, which soon after, Perry went through some medical issues and then drew it out way longer, leaving Smith to quit Journey once again and concentrate on his solo efforts and other venues. I see this in a few different ways and I don't mean anything negative! One, it's freaking awesome to see Steve return to Journey and pound out the sounds he made famous, Deen did an outstanding job! and I wish him the best of luck! Two, I respect Steve Smiths choice to go back to being a drummer's drummer and such, but you had to know that playing in Journey made him a rockstar and more money! Now that he is back within the Journey fold, he will make more money and I say more power to him! I can't wait to hear this line up after all these years! All I will say is that Perry has had his chance over all these years to make a comeback, he has done other shows on his own over the past years, and I can understand if he doesn't want to commit to year long tour anymore either, but he can't blame the others for wanting to make another go at it either!!

• Members

At my age, 52 (soon 53) this falls right into my era of playing influence. Steve Smith's bombastic, yet tasteful approach really refined rock drumming in my mind. Two of my favorite players (Steve Smith and Gregg Bissonette) are both great rock drummers, but are tremendous fusion players with very refined chops.

I think this is going to be an interesting chapter for Journey, and paired up with the Doobie Brother's for a tour... Heck yes.

The amazing thing is that it shows the "staying power" of the music of that era.

D

Archived