Best Drum Brushes For A Particular Sound

MDMachiavelli

• Members

MDMach: Cool! You're welcome! I have some of the nylon brushes as well as the wire bushes too. I used them to "quiet down" over the years so to not upset the wife or neighbors while playing at home. But yes, keep us updated and let us know how it goes for you! Since you're not a "drummer" you may want to arrange to have practice sessions out in the middle of nowhere where you can play loudly. Meaning that it took me many years of wailing away to find the beat and feel it internally. Some can do it without all the banging but is much harder. Once you do that, I've found it much easier to "play a little bit softer now" and still keep the "feel". Just meaning that drumming is close to driving in that regard. After you've been driving for awhile, you can react and resolve easier, whip out in traffic faster than you should have, see which lane is moving faster, someone brakes too soon...an experienced driver can adapt much more easily, same in drumming, as you practice your timing and playing to the beat, along to a record as well as playing live, the quicker you can lay down the groove or beat or recover if the others rush or drag. Whether you take lessons or learn on your own, you will need to practice drumming to get better at drumming, then more stuff will click, then you won't have to play as loud because you won't have to play each note or each note so forcefully. Stay Thirsty my friend, let us know how it's going and if you have questions! Go luck and Have Fun!!!! - Grant

• Members
MDMach: Cool! You're welcome! I have some of the nylon brushes as well as the wire bushes too. I used them to "quiet down" over the years so to not upset the wife or neighbors while playing at home. But yes' date=' keep us updated and let us know how it goes for you! Since you're not a "drummer" you may want to arrange to have practice sessions out in the middle of nowhere where you can play loudly. Meaning that it took me many years of wailing away to find the beat and feel it internally. Some can do it without all the banging but is much harder. Once you do that, I've found it much easier to "play a little bit softer now" and still keep the "feel". Just meaning that drumming is close to driving in that regard. After you've been driving for awhile, you can react and resolve easier, whip out in traffic faster than you should have, see which lane is moving faster, someone brakes too soon...an experienced driver can adapt much more easily, same in drumming, as you practice your timing and playing to the beat, along to a record as well as playing live, the quicker you can lay down the groove or beat or recover if the others rush or drag. Whether you take lessons or learn on your own, you will need to practice drumming to get better at drumming, then more stuff will click, then you won't have to play as loud because you won't have to play each note or each note so forcefully. Stay Thirsty my friend, let us know how it's going and if you have questions! Go luck and Have Fun!!!! - Grant[/quote']

Ha! When I said I wasn't a drummer, I was being serious. I'm asking these questions for my drummer. He's a very good drummer (he's my younger brother), he has just never played with brushes. We made a decision about a year ago to change the style of music we play and therefore we need to play a little softer.

Before our set list consisted of things like:

Cumbersome

Godzilla

Sweetleaf

etc.

Now it will consist of things like:

Hank Jr.

Merle Haggard

Waylon Jennings

Willie Nelson

etc.

That being said, I want to give him every opportunity to play as quiet as he can.

• Members

i use one commercially made set of retractable wire brushes and as far as how much the extended length is dependent upon how the piece is to sound, just as any other instrument, even large drums are instruments of nuance and grace and respond differently to each change in invoking a tone; mass, density, velocity, compression ratio of striker material and head material( if replaceable), and direction of attack all combine with environmental conditions to give rise to different tones and timbres. since my playing style is original, for what that is worth, i also have need to make many of my mallets, brushes, sticks, and friction tools. i make most of my brushes from bamboo ranging from about one foot in length, to three feet long. its very simple to do and can be made adjustable by adding a moveable ring to the brush shaft...zip ties work admirably...

• Members

yes! you can buy that same stretch line by the foot in any marine or camping store... in several diameters. id given thought to making a set of three footers using this for the handle wrap as well as the adjustment ring ala modified katana tsukamaki style weave with woven knot for the adjuster.

Archived