Need help from resident drum experts

SYRINGEBASS

• Members

I have been a bass player for around 19years and feel it is about time I take drumming seriously. I have a question for you guys. I am looking to purchase a kit of my own but I am unsure of which path to take. I would like to have an acoustic set but at the moment my only space to set up would be in my garage. This is where my concern comes in. I am familiar with how weather changes effects the necks of guitars but what should I expect to be the effect on drum shells? I live on the plains of Texas and it is a very dry climate, but subject to drastic weather changes especially in the winter and spring (Last year we saw an 80 degree day in December followed by a 20 degree day). Since I would have to keep it in an area that is insulated but without temperature control would I be better off finding an electric set or will the effects be subtle enough on an acoustic where I would not have to worry too much about ruining the quality of an acoustic kit? Also are their certain kits that handle temperature changes better than others?

Sorry if this is stupid question but I appreciate any help you guys can supply.

• Members

Syringebass: Welcome To Drum Land!

You ask a great question. There are people who will argue that there would be a negative effect, however, there are plenty of reasons to argue the opposite. Drums spend a lot of time before they ever make it to a retail environment being made in an area that is mostly not temp controlled, then they are stored in a warehouse with no temp control, and then shipped in trucks where the temps can get exceedingly hot.

If you are in an insulated garage, you will be A-Ok with an acoustic kit. You may consider keeping a humidifier if it is exceedingly dry or a dehumidifier if the opposite is true.

The bigger question to ask is will you want to go out an play the drums when it is 20 degrees in the garage! :)

D

• Members

I second what Dendy said. Unless the kit you pick up is some sort of vintage heirloom, the temperature changes you're talking about aren't that extreme and will likely be fine. Humidity is the bigger concern, so as long as there's a dehumidifier, you should be solid.

My practice space gets pretty chilly in the winter (40 degrees?) and warm in the summer (tops out around 80), but I'd think what they experience in the car the night after a gig is more intense. And they still sound great!

• Members

I also agree that the temperature changes should not be a problem. However if condensation occurs you could see a problem with surface rust and pitting on the hardware. Wiping down the hardware with a rag that has some light lubricate; like WD40 should alleviate this problem.

Archived