Voltan's Gong Song! Too cool not to share!

Dendy Jarrett

• Members

He posted this somewhere else on HC and I finally gave it a listen. Major props to Voltan for this piece obviously inspired by the tribal influences from his time on Centurion.

Here is what he says about the piece:

One take each on three tracks. Completely improvisational piece that started as a mic level check. Track one is a 44" Chinese chau gong (tam tam), track two is a 14" Himalayan singing bowl, track three is an ancient set of tingsha cymbals with a touch of aluminum platter for a little spice. Recorded on an iPad air2 on Auria through an old MCA sp1 LDC mic interfaced by a cheap iRig mono mic interface.

I really enjoyed this Voltan!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I just read this, I am honored and humbled, thank you. Things have changed a lot since that first recording, I'm still working on developing what appears to be my own style, at least for now... I've looked and I can't find any record of anyone else playing in this fashion although for the life of me, I can't imagine that somewhere in the multiple thousands of years these have been on the planet that no one else has done this? If anyone knows of such I would greatly appreciate the info, always ready to learn new tricks! Anyhow, I just poasted a bit in solo/ duos and don't want to cross poast so what I'm leaning towards is touched upon there, if interested. I suppose I should have poasted that here, after all a Chinese chau is a drum, technically..

• Members

Thank you, techristian! It's about time to try recording it again, for real. Since this recording I've added a few more tricks to the bag, one which employs six impacts in flam like execution from elbow/forearm, wrist, fingertip/ nails, that produces a nice " whipping" ascending timbre glissando, ( this isn't without a bit of discomfort if it's executed perfectly... But the slightest variance in angle of attack or position of the moving gong will impart impressive bursts of pain) and another using elbows as friction wands... Knees work too but it's hard to do when you're sitting... Hmmmmm....

Archived