Fiberskyn Head Advice

keric

• Members

I recently purchased a Gretsch Renown kit - 20, 10, 12, and 14. I'd like to go with a different sound for this kit. I was thinking of putting Fiberskyn heads on them. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this line and can tell me the difference between the Fiberskyn Ambassadors and Diplomats. I see that there are Fiberskyn Powerstroke Ambassadors and Diplomats as well. How do they differ from the basic Fiberskyn versions? I'm also wondering what would be a good complimentary resonant head. What do you think of using Fiberskyn heads on both sides? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

b285691c8fa591730b5dd32eb8521a5a.thumb.jpg.a6940b5ad4ab81c97400b770864f51eb.jpg

• Members

Keric: Fiberskyn were developed by Remo to replicate the feel and sound of natural calf skin without the drawbacks and net negative effect of using calf skin brings (humidity, breakage, etc.)

Because they are indeed a multi-layer make-up, they offer a sound more akin to a Coated Emperor. Less overtones and decay (a more controlled sound ... if you will.)

Hope this helps.

Thanks

D

• Members
Diplomats are the thinnest. They used to be offered as batters for delicate orchestral work. IMO too thin for practical use. They apparently aren't much use as reso heads either.

Thanks. What would you think of using the Fiberskyn Ambassadors as both batter and resonant? Would another line of heads work better for the resonant head and be in keeping with the sound they are trying to copy with the Fiberskyn line?

• Members
Keric: Fiberskyn were developed by Remo to replicate the feel and sound of natural calf skin without the drawbacks and net negative effect of using calf skin brings (humidity, breakage, etc.)

Because they are indeed a multi-layer make-up, they offer a sound more akin to a Coated Emperor. Less overtones and decay (a more controlled sound ... if you will.)

Hope this helps.

Thanks

D

Thanks. I understand the sound and feel that Remo was going for when they introduced this line. I guess my question had to do with how committed to the use of these heads alone you should be if you want that authentic sound. Would putting a resonant head from another line defeat the purpose of using the Fiberskyn heads, or are you going to get enough of that traditional sound just from the batter head that whatever resonant head you use, you will not affect that sound to a great deal? I'm not sure I can go down to the local Guitar Center and start trying out head combinations, like I can listen to cymbals, so I was wondering if anyone had used these and had any suggestions.

• Members

Thanks. What would you think of using the Fiberskyn Ambassadors as both batter and resonant? Would another line of heads work better for the resonant head and be in keeping with the sound they are trying to copy with the Fiberskyn line?

I like sustain. I want my toms to sing like tympani. I'd like something live - er like a clear Ambo on the bottom.

• Members

I like sustain. I want my toms to sing like tympani. I'd like something live - er like a clear Ambo on the bottom.

I agree. I hate that studio thud that so many albums have for their go to drum sound. I have that sustained tom sound on my Mapex Saturns and my Tama Artstar II kits. I was looking for a different sound with this kit, and while I don't want it to sound like I stuffed a pillow in each drum, just replicating what I already have doesn't make much sense to me either. My other option is to go with a different tuning on this set. I tend to tune to the lowest pitch that lets the drum sing. I could bring the pitch on this kit up.

• Members

Two weeks ago I went to a Danial Glass seminar. The topic was Deconstructing Sing, Sing, Sing. He mentioned that he was using Aquarian Modern Vintage heads, and they come closest in sound to a calf skin head. I have no experience with these heads other than hearing them at the seminar, but I have to say that his drums did sound real good. His drums sounded just like Krupa's

When I am experimenting with a different head or comparing heads; when searching for a specific sound; I usually buy the heads for a 12" tom as the are the least expensive. If I was looking for that vintage sound I would try a set of Fiberskyns top and bottom and a set of Aquarian Modern Vintage heads, top and bottom, and try combining the two and see what shakes out.

For me, my personal choice for a vintage sound on my Ludwig three plys is Evans Coated g2's over Evans coated g1's. In the future when it comes time for new heads I will be experimenting with the Aquarian Modern Vintage heads, just to see how they make my 12" tom sound and then choose accordingly.

• Members

Personally, I wouldn't use Fiberskyn on both top and bottom heads. I would always go with either a clear diplomat or ambassador on the bottom. (but that is just a personal preference).

• Members
Two weeks ago I went to a Danial Glass seminar. The topic was Deconstructing Sing, Sing, Sing. He mentioned that he was using Aquarian Modern Vintage heads, and they come closest in sound to a calf skin head. I have no experience with these heads other than hearing them at the seminar, but I have to say that his drums did sound real good. His drums sounded just like Krupa's

When I am experimenting with a different head or comparing heads; when searching for a specific sound; I usually buy the heads for a 12" tom as the are the least expensive. If I was looking for that vintage sound I would try a set of Fiberskyns top and bottom and a set of Aquarian Modern Vintage heads, top and bottom, and try combining the two and see what shakes out.

For me, my personal choice for a vintage sound on my Ludwig three plys is Evans Coated g2's over Evans coated g1's. In the future when it comes time for new heads I will be experimenting with the Aquarian Modern Vintage heads, just to see how they make my 12" tom sound and then choose accordingly.

I'm not really a drummer, but do attempt to play the drums.

My kit is made by Premier in the UK. What I am also using to the batter heads are the Evan Heads, EMD of the kit, The Genera Dry on the snare G2 clears on the Toms. Not bad. they were recommended to me years ago.

I have a Remo Djembe and it has a Fiberskyn head. They do have a overtone ring to them. They are easy to maintain, but I like the natural skin stuff better tone wise. My bodharn has a natural skin on it and you need to tweak it out. Temp, humidity always plays a issue with it. I also like it when the natural skin wears down and gets smooth.

I solved a few problems last year when I added a second kit to the household here, with a Yamaha digital set. :D

• Members

Based on you saying you don't like a thuddy sound and may tune the pitch up a bit, I'd go with ambassador clear or coated. I use Evans myself, but I wouldn't suggest the diplomat. Your using the fiberskin that's going to give you a warm sound. The ambassador will be warmer, the diplomat is going to be a thinner, ringier sound.

But like Stix101 said, buy the heads for the smallest drum first and try it out.

Theirs my too sense.

Archived