drum machine rx5 triggered by kit

Chummy

• Members

Can the pads on a roland electric kit trigger each of the rx5s sounds? It has out for each bd snr hh clap etc. How do you connect this vintage module to a modern set? And more importantly will it be velocity sensitive? Much obliged

• Members

Tnx. I wonder though, how does the pad knows which sound to activate? Is it something called midi channels? If so say i wanna assign kick to ch1... How does the set know to trigger the kick on the correct pad with the correct sound in the rx5? Just interested to know how it works ;)

• Members

Both the source midi and the RX5 should be mappable as per the midi spec. IOW either or both send / receive should be configurable into a working relationship. You have all kinds of options as to midi note number ( denotes responding sound ) and you could probably do this on just one midi channel if you needed to. The velocity and other control data can be set to max or left at the defaults and the RX5 set for response sensitivity. A generic editor librarian (probably free these days) that supports the RX 5 would simplify the task.

One note about using midi. You can usually get close to what you want but seldom exactly what you want.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Guys i still wasnt able to correctly configure midi. I have the td4 module and the pads are all messed up some toms the high hat and a cymbal trigger unmatching sound... How can i correct this and also triggering/sennsitivity issues? Thanks so much friends

• Members

If you bring up a drum patch on a keyboard synth, individual notes on the keyboard will be assigned to each individual sound. General MIDI is a protocol that, among other things, determines which MIDI note numbers get assigned to which particular drum sounds.

Yamaha was late adopting the General MIDI protocol so the RX5 uses different note assignments. My suggestion, if it is possible, would be to setup the RX5 so the MIDI note numbers assigned to the pads correspond to the General MIDI protocol.

• Members

Well I sort of had it back then but now I am not able to even hear anything through midi. Not to mention I hooked up some pads directly to the RX5 trigger outputs. Nope sound. Headphones do work when monitoring the RX5 from itself but ugh I just PLed every pad to its match in the RX5 and nothing. Again, thru MIDI nothing at all. There has got to be something I missed. Maybe a wrong connection or setting problem. The weirdest thing is I wasn't home for 2 days and now when I back (and everything was left untouched only the modules were turned off so probably saved changes lost)...... Tried to reset the RX5 still not work... :( :(

Archived