Porting the batter side of a kick drum head?

• Members

Carmen called to ask the benefits of porting the batter side of a kick drum head.

I've never done it, but I've heard a head done this way. Kick Port had a mini-port (or small port) that they offered this past year for the snare drum and toms (batter side intended).

They used a regular kick port on the front head of the base drum, and a smaller port on the batter side. To my ear, the result was a cleaner attack and less boom.

But Again, I haven't tried this myself.

The sheer size of anything 18" and over would probably not compromise the integrity of the drum head, so you run little risk of a head failure unless during transport. (I.E.: risk from playing is low)

The possibilities of sound from the same drum are almost incalculable once you start throwing head combinations front and back, hole diameter size, internal and external muffling, mic placement, impact pad choice and now batter head porting. I would say the possibilities are pretty limitless.

Anyone here tried it?

D

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I'd think the chance for tearing would be increased and a lack of tone due to the thump side lacking even tension. You can get away with it on the outside because it doesn't have to produce a pure tone.

• 1 year later...
  • Members
Carmen called to ask the benefits of porting the batter side of a kick drum head.

I've never done it, but I've heard a head done this way. Kick Port had a mini-port (or small port) that they offered this past year for the snare drum and toms (batter side intended).

They used a regular kick port on the front head of the base drum, and a smaller port on the batter side. To my ear, the result was a cleaner attack and less boom.

But Again, I haven't tried this myself.

The sheer size of anything 18" and over would probably not compromise the integrity of the drum head, so you run little risk of a head failure unless during transport. (I.E.: risk from playing is low)

The possibilities of sound from the same drum are almost incalculable once you start throwing head combinations front and back, hole diameter size, internal and external muffling, mic placement, impact pad choice and now batter head porting. I would say the possibilities are pretty limitless.

Anyone here tried it?

D

Ron Dunnett of Dunnett Classic Drum has tried this, according to him, he had to mic his bass drums from the batter side due to lack of space on his riser,now, he says that having a kickport on the batter side does not compromise the strength or integrity of the heads.

• Members

I've been at NAMM with the Port people and played on tom toms that were ported on the batter side. Even had a snare drum shown that was ported on the batter side. It had no impact on the head's playability. Also there was a very audible difference in the sound. I preferred it ported versus non ported.

D

Archived