Well... I wanted a snare with wood hoops..

Gremson

• Members

So I bought some wood hoops today. Just put em on my Supra for a jam tonight. Damn these things are cool! Rim clicks sound like tits! I'm excited to hear how it sounds with a band tonight.

I haven't decided if I'm gonna keep em on my supra, or if I'll put one on my Tama. But it'll be fun to experiment!

c9cd032e91a0faae3c2f729e3fe735b3.jpg.56444a0bde73b73796f03b0065b91804.jpg

• Members

They're PDP hoops. Picked up at Rhythm Traders in town.

It seems the entire world was out of a single batter hoop, which was all I needed to replace the warped hoop on my Tama Superstar. The Reso side of the Superstar is kinda weird due to an over-engineered parallel strainer, so the Reso wood hoop was useless on that snare. I gave up trying to buy one hoop and got the pair. Not wanting to waste the Reso hoop I put em both on my Supra and put the chrome hoop from my Supra on my Superstar. Mo' bettah.

Maybe after a few weeks I'll swap the hoop to my Superstar. But for right now, this Supra sounds rad!

• Members

Gremson: I feel certain that you are getting a nice "fat" back beat with those wood hoops. I'll go back to some of the best sounding drums ever have been drums that I placed Gretsch Die Cast hoops on. The Slingerland Studio Kings (Nashville era) had die cast hoops on them, and I attribute much of their great sound to those hoops. A wood hoop will trend similarly on a drum's sound to the die cast.

D

Archived