Small-Time affordable drum makers?

Gremson

• Members

I'm getting a fairly decent tax return soon, and I want to treat myself to a nice new snare drum.

Trouble is, from all the big guys, the drum I want it just out of reach in price. Google hasn't helped me much in finding any. Maybe yall can list a few builders for me!

If it helps, I'm looking for a natural finished snare with maple wood hoops and claws. I'm pretty open to the style of lug, and I'd like to find it for under $400.

Anybody that can steer me in the right direction?

• Members

I'm looking for a natural finish snare with wood hoops. Preferably with claws.

The Tama SLP is nice, but they only come in the "Sienna" finish. Not pretty. The Taye Studio Maple snares look beautiful, but just a little too pricey. I haven't seen many used ones.

• Members

I have owned alot of snare drums over the years but my favorite is an Eames mastertone birch snare. You should contact Joe Mac at eamesdrumshells.com - He can build the complete snare for you or you can just buy the shell from him.

• Members

Before you decide on which drums to choose, please know I looked for the same thing. I had a Tama Superstar but could not find the right sound for the snare without the Tama ring and ended up using a 3.5x14 model SD493 Yamaha brass piccolo snare. This sounded beautiful in the studio and mixed well with the warmth of the Tama shells. It will cost about $500.

Archived