Because it was requested...let's talk Rudiments

Carminemw

• Members

That was really enjoyable Carm. Made me think about how I go about doing things when I'm playing. Lots of good tips too. I'd watch more stuff like that.

My only other comment is your voice is mixed low and the drums are much louder. Not a huge issue, and could be that I'm on an iPad with kids making noise in the room.

• Members

You guys already know my position on woodiments so here's yet another iteration anyway.

Technically the so called rudiments are mostly ornaments and were in fact devised as a means of communication via snare drum during the heyday of musket battles. Not the stuff of music - just ask all the corpses. Anyway fortunately for us, snare drum turned out to be real cool for driving and kicking a dance band so we have a humanitarian reprieve for this instrument of death. Rudiments stuck because that's all the survivors knew about drumming and they (the wudiments) allowed cool patterns that allowed practitioners to sound like rhythmic wizards. Alas all this accomplishment was mostly decoration and as the people's music evolved so did the the practical rhythmic element of drums and drumming New feels, more composed forms, modern drummers had to track the music more intelligently - more musically. No more automatic ratamacues, bada bing, bada etc, etc...

So what are the basics? The actual rudiments? By me, basic music and rhythm theory and specific to drumming, grip, stroke and tone. Just for example's sake, take quarter notes. Say two bars of 'em. Drummers need to assimilate at this level so these quarters are no longer just a sequence of attacks but a string of 8 fully sustaining entities - entities that become a group with an identity governed by quality of execution. (there's that death thing again)

That's where the music starts.That's where to start practicing.There's your rudiments

• Members

Well here ya go...the Finale part to my series on drum rudiments. This one is entitled "Alternates" since a few of these rudiments are just repetitive patterns that could be utilized in the rudimental environment. Please contact me directly at "carminemw@gmail.com" if you have more questions...thanks for watching...play hard and strong!

Carmine

• Members

Carm. I meant my comment as a true compliment, I wish there was a way you could watch me pay for one lesson and give me some pointers! Those double, 4 and 5 stoke hits and rolls get confusing when I sit and think about it, but when I do it in a song, it seems easier.

Archived