AC/DC - getting hypothetical

FitchFY

• Members

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/who-could-play-drums-for-acdc/

Interesting hypothetical article on who would replace Phil Rudd in AC/DC if he doesn't return to the band... which right now seems like plausable event.

Simon Wright: Wright replaced Rudd when the latter bowed out of the band in 1983 and was with them until 1989, playing on the albums "Fly On The Wall", "Who Made Who" and "Blow Up Your Video".

Chris Slade: Slade followed Wright in the lineup, joining in time to play on 1990's "The Razor's Edge". When Rudd returned in 1995, Slade was shown the door and harbored some bad feelings about that for a while. Although he's 68, he still reportedly hits the drums as hard as ever.

Bob Richards: Richards is a little-known British drummer who filled in recently for Rudd during the video shoots for "Play Ball" and "Rock Or Bust", the first two singles from the new "Rock Or Bust" album. He seems like he might be the likeliest candidate because of that.

Jason Bonham: The son of late, legendary LED ZEPPELIN drummer John Bonham has performed with his dad's old band, so he could certainly pass muster with AC/DC as well.

Kenny Aronoff: This veteran drummer has played with tons of artists and groups, including a recent stint with Sammy Hagar's hard-rockin' CHICKENFOOT.

My two cents: AC/DC is a close-knit group who wants a friend and professional. This Bob Richards cat seems to have a foot in the door, but Kenny Aronoff is a total pro during a time they could probably use a total pro. Slade would be really cool to see, to be honest - I always thought he did a great job with the band.

I have no idea why Bonham is on this list - monster player in a very different circle.

Anywho, any thoughts? Opinions?

• Members

I don't know but Rock or Bust is a pretty great album. I seriously never thought I'd be able to say that again about an ACDC album. I'm an old school fan who thinks that after For Those..... that they basically sucked (aside from the odd song here and there). But this album is a VERY strong performance with good tight production and most importantly BIG hooks. In my opinion the essential ingredient that IS ACDC and has been missing over the past few albums.

Phil maybe a straight 4/4 drummer which "anyone" could do but he has that unique ability to play consistently on the back side of the beat that gives ACDC that feel. (much like Ringo) People can mock that kind of drumming all they like but the fact is it's not that easy to get into that zone. Drummers like Simon Wright and Chris Slade...who are no doubt superior drummers to Rudd....couldn't do it. Slade was the better of the two though.

I've never heard anything from Bonham that suggests he could do it either. Aronoff? Maybe....but he's a bit heavy handed. He really couldn't match the subtlety that Jimmy Chamberlain had in the Pumpkins and didn't have anywhere near Jimmy's chops. His closest stuff to ACDC would probably be his stuff with Mellencamp and there he always seemed to push the beat more.

I'm sure whomever they decide on will do a good job and it will sound good too, but it won't be Phil.

Archived