New setup!

FitchFY

• Members

I joined a new band recently and truly wanted to focus on the energy and sonic texture of what the band does, and that really involves going outside my normal playing style. To help accomodate that, I went to an odd and minimalist (sort of) drum set up.

Snare

Bass drum (single pedal)

Floor tom

Hi hat

2 crashes

Ride

..... and a splash cymbal mounted front and center at like eyeball height so it's wildly obvious whenever I hit it.

Being weird is fun, but what else due you use to play "Authentic New England motor folk"?

• Members

There was a guy did bars and shows around here maybe a decade ago. The first time I saw him was at a local jazz fest some twenty years ago and he had some white Tama Billy Cobham setup. Stunk. Years later when I next saw him, he had some no name kick drum, floor tom, a Dixon piccolo, hats and a ride. That's all he used in the subsequent dozens of times I ran across him. By that time he had acquired considerable stick ability and was doing variety covers; casual stuff that ran the gamut of bored alcoholic tastes. He managed to stay interesting with clever flurries and outbursts but I gotta say there's not a whole lot of entertainment value in a skeleton kit; same three four sounds, the material has to be first rate and not drum dependent or it wont fly.

• Members
He managed to stay interesting with clever flurries and outbursts but I gotta say there's not a whole lot of entertainment value in a skeleton kit; same three four sounds, the material has to be first rate and not drum dependent or it wont fly.

It's absolutely about bringing the right tools to the job site. In this case, I'm supporting a rhythm section, a mandolin, and a fiddle, and my job is without question to drive, support, and lay a foundation. There's plenty of entertainment up front, and I know I can add some flourishes as need be,

That's a big part of the change, though - the drums have a different role in this band then I'm used to, and I like the variety. Changing the setup I use is embracing that, and there's plenty of sonic textures to drag out of a HHX Evolution ride cymbal, but to your point 1001gear, it's not a setup (or band) where the focus is on the drums

For someone who doesn't have a ton of experience playing punk, I'm also realizing that due to the double-time nature of the feels, there's much less space for the fills when they do occur. I kinda dig that! It's like having to choose your words wisely if you only have one sentence to speak.

• Members

It's like having to choose your words wisely if you only have one sentence to speak.

Now there's a quote for a sig. And a bumper sticker to boot.

Now what the hell is "Authentic New England motor folk"?

At least it's not "Jazz drenched Blues infused Americana" - I hate that crap. IT'S NOT FOOD, IT'S MUSIC!!!

Okay back to topic:

My compulsive side always like to take the rack tom - floor tom setup with a ride and at least 2 crashes. But if the right gig came along I would try the minimalist setup. It does force the imagination to work in a different way.

• Members

It's absolutely about bringing the right tools to the job site. In this case, I'm supporting a rhythm section, a mandolin, and a fiddle, and my job is without question to drive, support, and lay a foundation. There's plenty of entertainment up front, and I know I can add some flourishes as need be,

That's a big part of the change, though - the drums have a different role in this band then I'm used to, and I like the variety. Changing the setup I use is embracing that, and there's plenty of sonic textures to drag out of a HHX Evolution ride cymbal, but to your point 1001gear, it's not a setup (or band) where the focus is on the drums

For someone who doesn't have a ton of experience playing punk, I'm also realizing that due to the double-time nature of the feels, there's much less space for the fills when they do occur. I kinda dig that! It's like having to choose your words wisely if you only have one sentence to speak.

To echo Ray, just WTF is motor punk?

• Members

To echo Ray, just WTF is motor punk?

That's a GREAT question, and the second I have any idea of an answer, I'll let you kind fellows know. :)

I feel like the answer may lie in these lyrics from the new song:

I like whiskey, I like wine

I like women, Lord, I like `em mighty fine

But the only thing I see that can bring me to my knees

Is that and low and lonesome highway, that burnin' gasoline

• Members

It's a lot of fun to strip it down sometimes! I've played gigs with snare, hat and kick only and blown it up! It's all in the application. Snare setting vs. tenor, varying degrees of how tightly choked your hat is, rim shot, bell of open hi hat, choke foot or open on the kick etc. Sooo many different sounds out of each element! Some get a box of primary color crayons and that's all they ever have, others learn to mix them together to get more color. Good job, keep it up! Ok, now that I'm off my soapbox, I had the thought that maybe you might want to try one of those "cocktail" style stand up type rigs as a possible new fit for that style of music. Have you seen those? All one piece! Pretty ingenious!

Archived