Drum Trigger and Drum module advice for a NON_Drummer.

fingerpicker

• Members

This is my first post in the drum forum. I am a guitar player who has used an assortment of stomboxes while playin solo acoustic guitar cover gigs. I wanted to know if anyone could recommend a basic drum module that will be used to trigger a nice, acoustic kick drum sound primarily and later add a trigger (or 2or 3) for my other foot to trigger either a snare, or shaker, etc. Nothing too fancy and Im most likey going to buy something used.

Also what should I use for a drum trigger to do this? Buy triggers? Make my own?

Thanks----

• Members

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr11/articles/trigger-happy.htm

Seems to me that if a stompbox is a piezo in a box, and a DIY drum trigger is a piezo on a drum, then your stomp-box should theoretically already be a drum trigger -- so if you're comfortable using it you should be able to continue using it. I'd try it first before buying triggers, at any rate.

• Members

A Roland KD-7 bass drum trigger is one option, add a bass drum pedal and module and you are set. An older Roland TD8 is around 300-400 now, a TD6 module can be found for a little more than 100 but doesnt sound as good.

I have only used Roland gear so can't offer other alternatives.

I've heard a drummer who uses a Yamaha module and trigger and it sounds ok, but don't have any other info.

• Members

Thanks for the replies. Phil I read that article and I think I understand the triggers now alot better.

So now just need a module.

Anyone recommend a somewhat "cheapie" model I can get off ebay that has somewhat decent sounds? Don't need one with a bunch of trigger inputs....Alesis seems to have some...

• Members

I'm currently using the TM-2 and it has good on board sounds, and the bonus of being able to add your own samples using an SD card. I only trigger my kicks, so I can't really comment on all the samples. It is expandable to 4 total triggers, it's small, and is only $200 new. I've been using one since July and really like it. Prior to that I was using Alesis dm-5 & a dm-pro, which you can get used for about the same price.

Archived