Johnny Carson- Was a great drummer

Dendy Jarrett

• Members

Some of you are too young to even remember Johnny Carson. Some of you may remember him as the great host of the Johnny Carson Show (The Tonight Show), but may have not known he was a drummer. He was born on this date in 1925.

Here is a video of him playing some sweet drums.

[video=youtube;0SS16APU65E]

• Members

I don't know why, but whenever I see a set with a DuCo finish and single lugs I associate it with a "cheap" set. I realize that the shells were the same, and in reality, a lacquer finish and single lugs should give more resonance than wrap and dual lugs, but I just could never get into the DuCo finish. Now, on modern drums I don't have a problem with lacquer finish at all, but I just have to have dual lugs. I can't go with single lugs at all. I guess I'm just set in my ways and there's no changing it!

• Members

Interesting: Back in the day, the kit shown with Johnny was a top dollar kit. The wrap (was considered the economy kit). Single lugs was the main way kits were made. (they were still in a war time saving mentality).

I just saw this kit today at Atlanta Pro's Facebook page and thought it was really a sharp kit:

fetch?id=31288999

• Members
Interesting: Back in the day, the kit shown with Johnny was a top dollar kit. The wrap (was considered the economy kit). Single lugs was the main way kits were made. (they were still in a war time saving mentality).

I just saw this kit today at Atlanta Pro's Facebook page and thought it was really a sharp kit:

fetch?id=31288999

Now this isn't so bad; I still don't like it; but it's not as bad as the old blue/silver in the good old days.. I would prefer a solid color or a fade from blue to white, but the DuCo is just unappealing to me. Now if that new Gretcsh kit had single lugs along with that paint I would say it's butt ugly! .

Archived