OK I need help with micing a Yamaha Power V set

webe123

• Members

My church has a yamaha Power V Set. I bought this set for my church brand new in the 1990's and it has been in storage for many years. Recently, we had our drummer leave and he needed his drums so I got out the older yamaha Power V's and set them up. After basically re-building the set and adding things it needed we have them set up in our drum booth at the church. We are using the Remo rings and drumtacs because we have 12 and 13 inch deep toms .(If you have never used drumtacs they are amazing!)

Anyway, we need a good way to mic the kick drum for this set. We have a good audix kick drum mic. But we have the bass drum with pillows in it and have it slightly outside the drum on a mic stand. But I think placing it more inside the drum would probably help, because a very good drummer heard our drums and like the sound of the toms and snare, but he said our kick drum sounded like "The drummer was hitting paper" when he kicked the head!

Now you have to understand something these are decent drums but not anywhere near the quality of yamaha custom drums or anything. Ors are painted black on the inside of the Toms and are made in england....so they are of a lower variety.

But the PROBLEM we are having is that the resonant (front) head of the kick bass drum is basically made out of some kind of thick plastic from what I can tell and it has a HUGE HOLE IN THE DEAD CENTER OF THE DRUM!

So what I was wondering, was if it was better to simply buy a regular front bass head like a remo with a 5 inch hole cut to the side and get memphis drum shop to put the letters on for us for about $20.00 more.....OR can we make do with what we have? I have been to a lot of forums including this one and a lot of people say that the dead center of the head is NOT where you want a hole if you have one! Because they say it picks up the beater as it beats against the back head! I do not know if this is true or not...but just came to ask this question...should we or shold we not get another front kick bass head for the power V set?

Here is a pic from google of exactly what our set looks like It is NOT our set, but the exact same specs and color ours have ...we have 12 and 13 inch deep tom-toms, a 16 inch floor tom, a 14 inch snare tom and a 22 inch kick bass drum. As you can see the HOLE for the front kick is HUGE!

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/do_ochiai/13564071.html

Here is what I was thinking of putting on the front instead a remo head and Yamaha in the big lettering

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/remo-ebony-powerstroke-3-resonant-bass-drum-head-with-5-inch-port-hole/446715

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80s-Yamaha-bass-drum-sticker-logo-decal-Recording-Maple-Tour-Birch-Custom-/271160276738?pt=Decals_Stickers_Vinyl_Art&var=&hash=item3f22697702

• Members

What size is the drum? Is the mic a D6? What kind of PA?

If the PA is capable, you may just need to bump the lows slightly. If that's not it, check the batter head for tension and "life" . If it's gone, get a Remo PS3 or Evans equivalent and that should be 90% the battle. The new front head with the offset hole may not be necessary with the mic on the pillow but it won't hurt.

• Members

Just because the hole is in the center doesn't mean you have to put the mic in the center. If you're using a boom stand insert the boom just inside the head so that the mic is aimed more towards the edge of the drum, away from the beater, but not necessarily at an angle.

If you're killing the resonance of the heads with a pillow then who cares. Use the money from the church to feed a needy family in the community instead of a head and another $20.00 for a logo no one cares about.

Like 1k1 said, you may just need some tweaking at the mixer, that and mic placement will go a long way.

• Members

Well for the idiot suggesting I should take the $20.00 and feed a needy family.....it IS NOT GOING TO BE THE CHURCHES MONEY...it would BE MINE and I think I know how to spend my money. I could care less if you want a logo or not that was not even the point of this discussion!! Try to ASK next time before shooting off your big mouth!

As far as tuning the drums...I should have mentioned that they ARE TUNED with a drum dial no less to the specs the drum dial gave, but we tried it without anything in the bass drum in his monitors and it was just way too much "boominess" in his headphones. And I am NOT the drummer, just a musician helping him.

The only reason I thought a new head would help, was that the drummer I mentioned said that sometimes having a hole that big in the resonant head could create more problems than it helped. He said that is why they have a smaller hole to the side, but whatever....we are getting OK results now that the mic is placed inside the drum instead of outside of it...turns out that the air from the bass being hit was moving the mic outside the bass because we had set it up in a hurry, but we locked down the mic and so that should not longer be a problem.

• Members
Well for the idiot suggesting I should take the $20.00 and feed a needy family.....it IS NOT GOING TO BE THE CHURCHES MONEY...it would BE MINE and I think I know how to spend my money. I could care less if you want a logo or not that was not even the point of this discussion!! Try to ASK next time before shooting off your big mouth!

As far as tuning the drums...I should have mentioned that they ARE TUNED with a drum dial no less to the specs the drum dial gave, but we tried it without anything in the bass drum in his monitors and it was just way too much "boominess" in his headphones. And I am NOT the drummer, just a musician helping him.

The only reason I thought a new head would help, was that the drummer I mentioned said that sometimes having a hole that big in the resonant head could create more problems than it helped. He said that is why they have a smaller hole to the side, but whatever....we are getting OK results now that the mic is placed inside the drum instead of outside of it...turns out that the air from the bass being hit was moving the mic outside the bass because we had set it up in a hurry, but we locked down the mic and so that should not longer be a problem.

[video=youtube;2NX6wIyHdBs]

Oh wait, rong clip. I think you owe Ray an apology. Time was the cavalry would be all over this just to be all over it Lucky you, nowadays a couple more guys might chime in suggesting you apologize.

Be that as it may, CHILL. This isn't cust serv @ Microsoft.

[video=youtube;KTI30E2-4N4]

• Members

So not cool! Also think about your initial post. Stating that you are stuffing pillows in the kick (that prevent the batter head from resonating) and then saying that it sounds like hitting paper shows where the real idiocy lies. Ray gave you a proper suggestion first (proper mic placement), and then suggested that you save your money because without addressing mic placement and over muffling new heads would result in the same outcome.

Dude you just have to calm down!

• Members

I used a Tama Rockstar Custom with the stock resos for many years. They have that same gaping reso hole. It's not really an issue. In fact, some very well seasoned engineers like the reso off completely. It's very similar to that.

Taking the reso off the Tamas would not be good because you can't also take off the reso lugs, so they'll rattle a bit. The hole in front is a decent compromise.

But it depends on the sound you want and the tuning, the mic placement, and the dampening. I am very partial to PS3s on kick batters, personally. Not much left to clean up afterwards -- I've used a lightly touching Evans EQ pad, but am fine with no dampening in them at all (not even the supplied Falams). Throw up some gates before compressors at the board. Aim the mic at the drum, not the beater (on an angle), and scoop out some mids if required.

Also, I've found the drum dial "suggested" settings are WAY off. I really only go about 1/4 turn on a key after finger tightening on the kick batter, if that. Want less resonance? Back it off more. Drum dial seems to want things WAY too tight to sound decent.

Archived