anyone here involved in drum circles?

Voltan

• Members

last weekend I spent 4 glorious days with drummers from all over the planet in something called "paralounge"... it was the 25th gathering and i'd guess something like 2000 people attending... the drum circle started each evening around 9:00 pm and always went past dawn... the camp was located in silver springs florida at the old Kiwanis camp which is on a lake inside the Ocala natl forest... next one is in May... if at all possible, im going!!!!

http://paralounge.net/

im also involved in a regular weekly circle that is primarily meditative and a very relaxed, informal thing...

• Members

Hey Voltan,

Drum circles are pretty popular around here. I've been to a few, some were fun, some were to much about playing the right part and too rigid for me. A friend has a big Taos drum that we use sometimes to start off a meeting for a Men's group I belong to. It can be pretty hypnotic sometimes. Other times not so much. Depends on the mood of the group.

An all night-er sounds pretty cool. 2000 people! wow that could be pretty powerful.

• Members

While I have never been involved with a drum circle; you know a bunch of drummers on hand drums and percussion instruments; I did attend the last HC Drum jam. That was a whole lot of fun. Seven guys on Seven different sets. I can say I met a lot of nice people, enjoyed those two days more than I could have imagined and would do it again!

• Members

I hear you. Some of my best memories of drumming have been with other drummers. Between marching in band, drum corps, playing percussion ensembles, and just getting together with drummers to jam, it has been fun. Even did a band for a while with two drummers. That was pretty cool since I had idolized the guys in The Doobie Bros. (Keith Knudson and Chet McCracken).

The only drum circles that were "spontaneous" I have ever participated in were the PAS events and the one they have at NAMM every year.

But those were lots of fun!

D

• Members

this was a family oriented event with lots of classes for all levels... classes offered covered djembes. congas, ashiko, taiko, plus folk and belly dancing as well as didgeridoos, yoga, and an excellent kitchen with healthy food choices... tribal as well as improvisational rhythms were exchanged... the next one is in may... if at all possible, im going...

Archived