new project

techristian

• Members

This is my old floor tom from my very first set of Silvertone drums. I bought it in 1971 and it has gone through many changes. Originally it was blue metalflake wrap. In the 70's It went through a psychedelic time when it was painted like a multicolor rainbow. Mellowing out in the later 70's I ground and sanded all of the Varathane runs out and painted it black. This was the drum I took on stage back then. Then in the later 80's I used this as my practice set up until I bought my Pearl Forums in 2000. After that it has become a stand to hold my newer drums off of the basement floor. It has a shell that is slightly thicker than 1/4" and a beautiful resounding ring !!!

But I have something new planned for this old 14" drum....................

fetch?id=31267868&type=full

Next we remove all lugs and clean.

fetch?id=31267869&type=full

Next we cut into 3 equal shells. 4 and 5/8" deep.

fetch?id=31267870&type=full

Next we rough cut the bearing edges.

fetch?id=31267871&type=full

• Members

14" tom.....yes snare drums. Although 16" snare drums would be even more interesting.

More pictures will follow.

Only danger to me ,is that I should wear a dust mask because this old wood is full of bacteria of all kinds and I'm breathing it while sanding. Already sanded and applied wood filler. More pictures will follow.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Sorry that I was being lazy. Took picture with my phone and google was right there to grab it. I should have a video up in a few days with this drum (Project 2) and Project 3 as well. Project 3 is making floating toms for my ImperialStar set. The change to the sound of my upper toms is PHENOMENAL !

Dan

• Members

Thanks Dendy !

I think the close mics were a bit too close to the rims. That will tend to pick up more ring and can also overload the mic. More distant mics pic up the full body of the drums but too much room ambience. I need just the perfect mix. It also makes a difference if you are listening through a stereo, laptop speakers or headphones.

Now all I have to do is get a bass drum sound that I like. Ever since I got the Kelly Shu I have been having trouble getting a natural sound. I have it mounted inside the bass drum with the both heads on and the microphone wire comes out of the port. I think I will figure a way to get it outside of the drum close to the beater.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm using my favorite snare in the video below. I also set up the tom microphones a bit further from the toms and muffelled my bass drum so now you can hear it. I still don't have the bass sound but here is my second demo with 3 floating drums.

[video=youtube;WpqQDrFiLQs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpqQDrFiLQs&feature=youtu.be

Archived