King's X ... it's just not meant to be!!!

FitchFY

• Members

So as many of you know, I am a huge King’s X fan. In my time as a drummer, I've had THREE chances to have my band open for King's X, and each time something odd has occured, stopping it from happen. First time, the show was cancelled the day of due to the guitarist hurting his leg. The second time, the venue fell through and the show never happened. The third time, my band agreed to play a wedding for some super-fans, and we stuck to our word and did that. So three chances to open for my favorite band, but alas... it wasn't meant to be. I’m also getting married next month, and my best friend is quite a drummer. There’s your back story.

This past Friday, I’m out with said best friend and telling him about how Jerry Gaskill, drummer for King’s X’, recently suffered a heart attack and they had to cancel all their booked shows. Matt was quiet for a moment and then says, “well, since it won’t happen, I guess I can share this…” and goes on to tell me that as a wedding present, he’s been in touch with King’s X’s management and has gotten a green-light to have me soundcheck and jam with the band at a show next time they’re around. As in “I can play with King’s X for a song.” I kinda peed a little. The thoughtfulness of something like that, and the awesome reality that the no one in the King's X camp said "no" to this, absolutely floored me.

Jerry is currently recovering from his double bypass surgey in NJ, so I sent him a get well card (is that weird?), and I obviously want his health more than the chance to play with the band, but there is one abundantly clear message in my musical life: I am not supposed to ever have something more than a fan-band relationship with King's X, no matter how that carrot is dangled.

Archived