Need some help

psychosiz

• Members

Hi I know some of you probably hate threads like this as they get repetitive and a pain to respond to sometimes, I do apologize and understand as I see them in keyboard forums. I am going to learn to play drums. I am going to buy a set to start on and don't want to buy a crappy set. Did some research, found some sites, info and drums sets. Played some at music stores and some used sets, but here is my issue. While I can hear, I don't know what to listen for. I know drums have different sounds and as I was trying them out playing very basic, (maybe more like off time with frequent mistake) beats, I really didn't know what I was listening to in terms of what I should be listening for. About the only the only thing I could kind of judge was the feel. I plan to play rock primarily and I don't know where it will go from there. Anyways, after reading up on some drum sets, I narrowed down the search, based upon my finances, to the following sets:

Mapex Voyager 5 piece set (includes hardware and cymbals)

Gretch Drums Energy 5 piece set (includes hardware and cymbals)

Tama Imperial Star 6 piece set (includes hardware and cymbals)

The Mapex is the cheapest, the Gretch is $100 more and the Tama is $200 more than the Mapex. The extra piece on the Tama is an extra floor tom. These are all new and while I will consider used, I would rather not as I have no idea what good or bad condition is and have no way to recognize any potential problems being new to drums. My question is are they are preferences in brand? I believe the player makes the most difference, but I know many keyboardist are anal with feel and sound regarding manufacturers. Basically any insight would be great or even a quick suggestion as I know typing a response takes time. Thanks for you help! [h=1][/h]

• Members

All of the kits you listed are just about absolute beginer sets (edit: th etama might be a slight step up, I don't know), which might be what you need. I wouldn't put too much stock in the cymbals they come with as they are most likely trash can lids. Your best bet is to buy used, and spend more on cymbals than drums. Drums can be tuned, and with good heads and tuning you can make a crappy set sound passable. This isn't the case with cymbals. Crappy cymbals will always sound crappy. If it were me I'd save up more money, and get a used mid level kit. I'd also suggest a Yamaha stage custom kit as they aren't super expensive, and they are everywhere on the used market.

• Members

I agree with symbolic for the most part, but if you do want a new kit and don't want to bother with the hassle of used I think any of those would be great starter kits. They all use typical decent but not too low end wood like poplar and basswood. At this point I wouldn't worry about "what to listen for" at that level. They're all going to be roughly the same. They are going to sound decent but probably lack the nice resonance and tone of a higher end drum. You can worry about that on your second kit when you're more serious about what you want. In the mean time you'll listen more and discover the types of drum tones you'll want.

At this level, brand preference is just that. Use your own criteria. What's the most important to you? Price? Colors available? Which name sounds the "coolest" to you...lol. All the ones you've chosen are well established brands in the drum world so there's nothing to worry about.

Another option is to let us know where you are and we could have a look through your local craigslist ads to see if there is a steal on something out there.

• Members

thanks for the replies, I figured the sets I listed were beginner sets. From your comments, I should either go used or put my money into cymbals. This is actually very helpful. One of my issues is how I buy, going though Craigslist may be tricky for more than one reason. I am perusing forums and eBay for deals but my funds are not going to get better for ahwile so whatever I get is what I will probably have for the foreseeable future. Thanks again for your comments, they were very helpful in letting me know what is important. If anyone happens to come across anything interesting, please post it here, thanks!

• Members

Here's another push for the Yamaha Stage Custom - that's pretty much the most bang for your buck you will find at that price line. It's still one of my main kits and I've had it for 10 years of HEAVY use.

And yes, put the money into cymbals. If you're new to playing, your technique is likely not so hot (no offense), so I'd recommend medium-weight cymbals. I'm a huge fan of the Sabian AAX Stage line for all things rock - very durable and well-priced. As a musician, you know the rule: "buy once, cry once." With drums, that's still true, but be aware that our gear breaks far more frequently because, you know, we hit it with sticks. So if you can get on Craig's List and find people selling cracked/ chipped cymbals for $10 each, buy a few of those and use them for the first few months as you grow your technique -- it'll save you money in the long run!

• Members

Agree with the others, a cheap or crappy set can sound good with the right heads and good tuning, trash can lids always sound like trash can lids. GO to the music store and play some sets, let the store guy show you around, ask questions, learn, all entry level set are all about the same today and made well. Going used is great, can get more than you thought you would. Show us what you're looking on her on here and we can help!!

Archived