finger rolls

1001gear

• Members

Started out caveman matched then discovered Buddy Rich and played that way for a half dozen or so years. Got quick at diddles but that one handed stuff was always a mystery/fail to me.Then got switched back to "civilized' matched by the percussionist teachers and never went back.to over under. I now do the compound strokes with the caveman death grip and articulate my wrists and arms instead of my fingers. Prolly conjures a crude image and truthfully it's not at all as relaxed as finger control but it's quite stable and is showing signs of improvement. against all wisdom and odds.

• Members

It's that looseness that becomes the fail with finger control. Take car suspensions over the years. Vintage loosey bouncy to modern springless surface tracking systems. The latter are able to negotiate the the ever changing dynamics of driving, and indeed driving fast at a higher resolution than springs and shocks. So too stick control.

• Members

I know you get it 'cause I hammer the point every chance I get. :freak: It's actually a good analogy too. Negotiating drums is nothing but getting sticks negotiating the undulations of rhythmic music takes some pretty sophisticated physics.

Ok nuffa dat. I went back and watched some BR solos and lo and behold, that's all he's doing half the time. sm-indifferent He can really fly that [place profanity here] .

• Members

Different stick techniques can be helpful for different sonic applications. Being married to one technique puts a certain stamp on your playing, which can be wicked cool (I'm pretty sure no one is telling Dave Weckl he needs to sound like anything other than him), but for someone who plays different styles and sounds, I'd consider a different technique just another tool in the stick bag.

• Members

I will admit that so far all my favorite super drummers, matched, over/under, or otherwise play loose teeter totter grip the majority of the time. The default swing of bouncing sticks seems to be an inescapable part of drum feel. What I am claiming is that one can learn to reproduce any feel from drunken swing and second line to Rosannah meets the girl from Ipanema and beyond with a steady state stick grip AND do so with an extended range of detail, refinement and consistency.

Archived