Snare drum recommendation needed to go with 70's Slingerland kit.

Gorquin

• Members

I'm reading that a lot of drummers and studios use the Ludwig Supraphonic as a standard. Some drummers tell me to go with a 70's model. I've also read that the Acrolite shell of the 70's is the same as the Superphonic but without the Chrome plating. Another friend of mine says to get a Slingerland COS 70's snare because it goes with my early 70's Slingerland kit….If memory serves me they are 12-13-16-20" drums. That's all I have so far for my home studio. I don't play drums so I'm deficient in a lot of lingo and knowledge.

What say you drum guru's?

Thanks

• Members

It may not be so much the drum than the head selection and tuning. If your going for the 70's sound then use what they used back then which would be Remo Ambassador Coated on top and Diplomat or Ambassador on the snare side. You could also try an Emperor on the top, which is a thicker, I think possibly a 2 ply head. Evans has an equivalent of all of those, probably the G1 and G2 for the Ambassador and Emperor, respectively, and any of the hazy snare side heads. The thicker the head the lower the overtones and more durability.

You can't go wrong with the Ludwig COB for any 60's and 70's era stuff. But if you can find a period wood shell that would work also.

Snare drums are very personal, like cymbals and pedals, to the player. I will assume you're a guitar player, so it's like picking a guitar, strings and amp. Go with something quality though and you can't go wrong. If you find something and need help to decide post here and all us drummers are full of opinions on gear and pricing.

BTW How is doing the tuning of the kit?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

For someone with no drum knowledge, you sure are spitting out some well known vintage drum names, with the right spelling and all. Makes it sound like spam. But Okay, I'll bite. First the Supraphonic. one in decent to good playing shape will run you about $400 or more. A Supra has 10 lugs and an Acrolite has 8 lugs. A decent to good Acro is going to run at least $100 to $150. The 70's Slingerland COB (Chrome over Brass) is a rare creature too since Slingerland is now defunct. So I would imagine you're looking at a few hundred there as well?? Like the others have said, it matters what kind of sound you like. I would say for now, just get A snare (at least test it before you bring it home) and then go from there. A big issue with any snare or drum is the heads you choose and how you tune. You can even post the snares you're looking at on here as well! All those snares mentioned are nice, but you don't NEED them when you're just starting. I would just get a workable snare for now and start playing around with your drums!! Learn to tune them and how different heads work first. Is NO DRUM that you just get and BAM it goes with everything. But don't give up, we can help you out as you learn!

Archived