If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
The shell came from David Lee Drums . They retail for around $60. They are STAVE shells. The "lugs" are made from a wrot iron planter that I found on the side of the road. Because it is 1/2 square stock, it can be easily held with a 1/2 wrench , for now anyway. If the thread loosens up a bit, I can hold it between 2 fingers.
Yes no matter where you tighten, whether the top or botton you will be still tightening both heads. I already heard a few similar drums on the internet, before starting this project, and decided to use a light head for the top to get higher tuning. So we have an Ambassador on the bottom and coated Emperor on top. Tuned almost to the max now and this drum is approximately 1 tone higher pitch than my classic Supraphonic.
It is very ringy because there is no sound deadener. The unusual thing about this drum that by just placing my tiny metronome or cell phone on it, while playing DEADENS IT DRAMATICALLY. These would deaden my Supraphonic but not so extremely.
There are NO HOLES in the shell. Not even a breather.
I'm trying to add a minimal amount of hardware to this drum to let the shell completely resonate. I'm avoiding the addition of extra rings as some have suggested. I was going to wait a few weeks for a Supraphonic throw off (in the mail) but my local Guitar Center has three different brands to look at and I will be able to finish this up by Tuesday if I get one over there.
Thanks. I did the best i could with the microphone I had available. Yes ,it is very beefy toned down without the Mini Emad, but I like it the way I have it set. It also sounds better live. That's why I brought it out to a club last night to show another drummer. He agreed that it sounded like a $1000 snare. You have to hear it live. Dan
I just wanted to hear how the top and bottom change as you take the drum through its tuning range. Also rimshots at the various snare settings.
I have been having problems moving and syncing the audio tracks to my tower for mixing. I had several spots (which I edited out) where there was just scratching digital noise. That 16 minutes represented 8 ours of mixing syncing and editing. If it would be as easy as just pulling out a camcorder and starting to record, I would do that for you. I may ,in fact, do just that, if the demand is great enough....but I will need to move the drum outside where there is no reverb or room acoustics.....and we ALL KNOW what camcorder microphones sound like.....not even as good as the Shure's that I used.